Chapter 3 : Reminders

The sun was shining brightly over Downtown Copenhagen, casting a warm glow on the colorful buildings and the sparkling lake. The air was crisp and fresh, filled with the scent of fallen leaves and roasted chestnuts.

Anntonia decided to breeze through the rest of the people who were walking or biking along the streets, en route to her new office just around the block. Her white turtle neck sweater, denim jeans and brown leather boots complemented the feel of the mild weather on her skin. She enjoys simple days like this.

Eversince she moved to her biological father's city, the former hotel heiress learned to let go of the affluent lifestyle that she has gotten used to for more than a decade.

In Denmark, she was just a regular person - so she needed to relearn the ways to be part of a simpler society and it didn't take her more than a week to immerse herself completely into her new minimalistic European lifestyle. She biked, used the public transport and even enjoyed a late afternoon stroll down the lake while eating some buttered bread. Going back to her Danish roots made her appreciate the little things in life.

"Hej, Ann".

The ex-Isrotel heiress grinned upon seeing her favorite baker whose shop was located beside her office building.

"Hej, Virgie! How are you doing? What's new this morning?"

"Well, I think I'm finally ready to launch my sourdough bread tomorrow".

"That's great!" Anntonia beamed.

"Yeah, I know! I've been thinking of adding more breads and pastries to my lineup. As much as I'd like to stay strictly Italian, I don't think it's a wise business move for me to just sell focaccias and panetonne".

"I will not complain. I love all breads....Italian or not". Ann chuckled.

"Glad you love it".

"You know I'm always a fan".

The pastry chef laughed. "Thanks, Ann. Oh, by the way. Hold on". The other woman went inside her shop and came out carrying a white paper bag. "Here..."

Anntonia furrowed her brows, thinking what Virgie gave her.

"Freshly made panini prosciutto for my favorite customer".

"Aww! You're so sweet! Thank you!" Ann took a step closer to Virginia and gave her a quick hug. "You have no idea how this has made my morning".

"Great! I'm happy!", the pasty chef's seductive Italian accent was thick.

"Thanks Virgie, I'll catch you later!" Anntonia waved goodbye and headed straight next building.

The former heiress paused for a moment, looking at the white stairs ahead of her. She closed her eyes for a while and breathed in deeply — soothing out the anxiety that was budding behind her confident facade.

In a little while, she'll know the fate of her loan application. If things don't go her way, she'll be forced to make an executive decision that might not only alter the course of her new venture, but also her personal life.

She opened her eyes and found the courage to make the first step — climbing the stairs to the third floor.

"Good morning, guys". She greeted upon opening the door to her office. Two of her staff responded immediately.

"Hi, Ann!"

It was a small office — roughly the size of a two bedroom apartment, and definitely much smaller than her old offices in New York, Bangkok, and especially from Isrotel's main headquarters in Eilat, but the warmth and teamwork of her new team compensated for the lack of space.