Chapter 38

Isaac's POV

"Deaton what's happening?! What did you do?!" I yell falling to my sisters side.

"She must be having a bad reaction to some of the medicines I put in her." He says calmly. "I hate to say this but we have to take her to the hospital. I've done everything that my abilities allow me to do."

I am quick to slide my arms underneath her and hoist her weight back up in the air. I struggle to hold her as her body jerks in the unnatural movements. Derek sees my effort is quickly failing and he gets up and runs over to me.

"I can get this side." He says as he wraps his arms under the opposite side as me. "Scott call your mom, tell her we have a rather large emergency."

Derek and I make our way out the door and through the building as quickly as possible. When we get out into the rain Deaton runs past us and opens the trunk door of the SUV.

"Hurry! She'll have more room back here!" He yells as we pick up our pace. We , as gently as possible, drop Abby into the trunk and make our way to the front of the car. Scott passes us on his bike.

The hospital isn't too far away so with Deaton speeding we get there in record time. We are met at the entrance by Mama McCall with a gurney. Relief floods through me. I jump out and help Derek get Abs from the back and we hurry to get her on the gurney. Melissa starts wheeling her in as soon as she is down on the mat. We all follow her into a room where she jams an IV into Abs inner elbow and pumps some medicine in her veins. Abs slowly stills. Breathing still irregular, but stable, Melissa sees Abs problem as something that can hang on. She comes to me and wraps her arms around me in a motherly embrace.

"What in the hell were you thinking?" She whispers to me.

"We had to make sure your guys lifes' weren't at risk with us here. Deucalion wanted us and only us so we went to England."She pulls back from the hug to look at me.

"Isaac, where is he now?" She asks a pained and worried expression on her face.

"Dead." I say quietly.

"Are you sure?" She asks, shocked. I nod my head once, swallowing my fear.

"Isaac, honey what else happened?" She asks concerned.

"He almost killed me. He would have if it wasn't for her." I shift to Abs still, lifeless body. "And now look at her. This is my fault."

"It's not your fault Isaac. Sometimes we put ourselves in crazy situations and bad things happen. It's not the choices that we make that define us. It's how we recover from them. Yes Abigail saved your life. Yes both of you made the decision to leave. But that's it honey, both of you made the decision, not just you, not just her, but the both of you together. So yes she saved your life but wouldn't you have done the same for her? If it was the other way around she would be standing here saying the same things as you. But it's not the other way around so don't blame yourself Isaac. Be glad both of you made it out alive. You have that to be thankful for. And you have us." She says pulling me back into the hug. A tear slides down my cheek as I realize she is right. I feel a tad bit better after hearing that speech but I still feel terrible. I am the older one, she was my responsibility. I am her guardian and I failed her. I have to make it right somehow and the only way I can think of to make it any better at all when she wakes up is to be there for her. And to help Stiles remember her.

"Where is Stiles?" I utter to Mama McCall. She pulls back from our hug again to look me in the eyes. They say the eyes are the windows to the soul and in that moment I believed the saying more than ever because in her windows lay so much pain and sorrow at the mention of Stiles that it feels like someone hit me like a bus.

"He is in room 394. I don't know if he is awake, but the last time he was up he had an episode very similar to Abi's. If you go in there, be patient and understanding okay?" She says so softly and hushed that it is almost hard for me to hear.

"Okay." I nod in return.

Everything is quiet as I make my way to my lost friend. All I hear is my own heartbeat ringing in my ears. I don't know how this will play out I just know I need to mend Stiles and Abs together again for everything to be okay, at least for a while.

I walk slowly down the hallway reading the room numbers as I go, the anticipation tearing knots in my stomach as I make my way closer to my friend.

390...

391...

392...

393...

394...

Deep breaths. Slow deep breaths. I close my eyes and take one last deep breath before I open the door with all the courage I have left in me.

On the lone bed lays a frail figure. Closed eyes open when they hear my footsteps come closer to the bed. Recognition fills his eyes as he flashes me a small grin.

"Isaac?" Stiles asks as if I'm not really here. A minuscule smile forms on my face.

"Stiles? How're you holding up?" I ask.

"Barely. What about you?" A laugh escapes both of our lips.

"By a thread man." I say and the previous moment of light vanishes from the room.

"So I've been told that you went all hero on us recently." He says trying to lighten the mood again.

"The hero part was played by Abs." I whisper.

"Abigail?" Stiles asks. I nod my head.

"Is she okay?" He asks almost inaudible.

"How did you know she was hurt Stiles?"

"I didn't. I just had a weird feeling that something had happened to her and with that feeling ,came a name, Abigail." He says as if he is trying to convince himself as well as me.

"So you're saying you feel emotionally connected to her?" I ask, confused.

"I guess physical too, I felt a pain so intense that I thought I may be dying." Stiles says looking uncomfortable.

"Maybe you were just remembering her and it hurts too much trying to get past the barricade that's holding them back? Or maybe you were having a small memory when you started having some sort of episode relating to the incident?" I suggest. He glares at me.

"I'm not crazy Isaac." He speaks low. "I know how I felt."

"I'm just trying to hel-"

"Stop." He says icily.

"Stiles please, I only want to help." I plead. "I have to make things right."

"What did you do Isaac?" He asks confused and worried now. I start to shake. He sees it.

"What did you do?" He asks, angry now.

"I almost got her killed Stiles." I admit quietly.

That's when the shaking was passed to him, only his was out of pure fury.

"You're the one that has caused me all of this pain?!" He yells in hysterics.

"What do you mean stiles?" I ask cautiously.

"Her pain! I feel it! It does stuff to me! I start having episodes! It's killing me!" He seethes. I flinch at his words.

"I'm going to come back when you calm down." I say standing up about to walk out of the room.

"Don't." He spits. I walk out of the room as silently as possible. I walk to the nearest empty room and sit on the lone, empty bed and run my hands through my hair, taking deep breaths. I can't do this. I can't.