75.(HC) not yours

HARRY

LIII

"I've been thinking about what we talked about…"

He took Cedric to the classroom because it wasn't a topic to discuss in the hallway.

Even if it was deserted.

Cedric contained the curiosity he knew he would have.

"It occurred to me a while ago. It's kind of silly, but it could work. I almost did it," Harry chuckled. "The simplest thing would be that you don't participate… I mean, yes, except that in the least way or for the least amount of time. We won't know until a month before what the task will be like. If it's like the second one, you can get in and out fast."

It wasn't that Harry didn't recognize that it was a easy idea and not at all brilliant...

"I doubt I would do that," Cedric interceded with a grimace, "unless I really needed to. Even if I'm not going to win the Tournament, dropping out of a task would leave Hufflepuff in a bad light and go against everything I entered it for. Besides…"

Was that more important than his life? 

The question Harry did not dare to vocalize disappeared when he heard, "This morning, I finally found out what Harry and Hermione have been considering." 

LIV

A Cup that would transport him to a place where Voldemort would await.

He had actually taken the trouble to make an effort this year…

“So in conclusion, I have to win."

Harry had never really imagined that he would be forced to.

Just maybe, he may have harbored an embarrassing, fleeting fantasy of such a thing once. 

"Otherwise someone else will take it and be in danger," he reasoned at Cedric's refusal, who insisted that there must be other alternatives. "And Harry told you it was the best option. I trust him. He comes from the future."

“Not a bigger future than a year." 

"That's enough for me."

"Harry…" His low voice, thoughtful and pained, made his heart turn.

"I'll be fine, just like I was on his line. And you too. Just as it should be."

"Are you going to do it even when you're aware of what awaits…? Regardless of the risk?"

"Voldemort has already tried to kill me several times. I knew that he would try again. It's not common for him to take a year off… I see he has been busy,” Harry tried to joke, which was impossible due to the marked seriousness in Cedric's expression. "One day there will come a time when it will be him or me, but it isn't this. Harry has said it. I'll survive."

His attempt to reassure him didn't work. 

The frown on Cedric's forehead deepened. "What if you don't…?"

“I would give my life to save the wizarding world, Cedric, but not yours."

His boyfriend hugged him tight, even though Harry was sitting on the desk and Cedric had been standing since they entered the room. 

Harry squeezed him even tighter.

He wouldn't let anything happen to him.

LV

Far from coming to a resolution with Hermione, he paid her little attention.

On Sunday he joined a study session with Cedric and his friends.