2.(HC) a small drawback

HARRY

VIII

He decided to call Cedric first. Exactly at three o'clock.

Cedric answered so quickly that he didn't have time to calm his foolish heart.

"Hey, hi, Harry."

His voice.

Firm but soft.

He barely managed to reply a shy hello too.

Harry knew he would never feel so nervous talking to a friend. As if the not-so-little wish that there was something more between them wasn't enough, he couldn't believe this was really happening.

Him talking on the phone. Weird.

And with the most beautiful boy in Hogwarts?

He couldn't believe his own luck.

IX

Nothing new. Cedric was the wonderful, outgoing, kind person who carried the conversation in a way that wasn't awkward. Harry relaxed after a few minutes. Part of him was still a little nervous, but Cedric couldn't do much about it.

It was almost his fault for being just that person.

And at the same time, everything was new.

Cedric told him things about the last weeks that he hadn't written in any letter. A mention of a meeting with his friends. And Cho. Harry once again struggled with a feeling he didn't particularly enjoy, like a sudden sharp pain that would take a second to go away to leave him feeling foolish. Because Cho was good and she had been nice to him on several occasions, saying hello and talking to him between classes after they agreed to be friends that time.

He shouldn't be jealous.

She probably knew Cedric better than he did, and was fortunate enough to spend time with him.

To belong to his group of friends.

She was, well... Beautiful, and it wouldn't be confusing if he didn't like her too.

The thing was, Harry only thought of Cho when Cedric mentioned her.

X

Cedric asked him about his godfather.

Harry's news weren't that incredible.

The Ministry had agreed to hold another trial, but the date was months away. And they hadn't stopped looking for him. There were still posters with his image, because the whole thing hadn't even been in the newspaper. Harry didn't understand how nobody was interested in his innocence. Lupin was taking care of it, and had written to Harry a few times. People don't like to accept that they've been wrong, and they would have to review every case in Azkaban. But Siri will be a free man again, I promise you.

There were times when Sirius wouldn't return his letters.

"He's probably hiding," Cedric tried to calm Harry down, and was also outraged by the situation. "If they had caught him, I think he would be in the news. He may be settling down somewhere and hasn't been able to reply to you yet."

Perhaps an owl was flying from far away at that moment.

He trusted that he was okay.

Still, Cedric trying to make him feel better melted Harry on the inside.

XI

"Phones are great."

Harry wouldn't tell him how much he was amused by Cedric's enthusiasm for muggle objects that were common to him. He grew up listening to Vernon complain about being called by companies trying to sell them products. And the commercials, bless those and the way he'd answer angrily at having to get up from the couch.