14.(HC) crazy in so many ways

HARRY 

I

He adored the Weasley twins —he truly did.

And it was really his own fault after all, for not having a suitable excuse ready when Fred and George showed up at a quarter to ten in the Gryffindor common room. There were few people left present, and Harry was stalling for time. 

Looking for a way to slip away. 

What would he tell Ron? He didn't have a good plan to start with.

Only an immense desire to spend some time with Cedric.

To keep him awake, like he had promised.

"We've tried everything," Fred lamented with a grimace. "We've officially run out of ideas."

Of course they were referring to their latest project: how to cross the age line.

"Hermione, you were right. It's very hard to get past whatever magic Dumb used."

And it was obvious what George was trying to do...

"Can you help us?"

They had been very nice to Harry from the beginning, and now the twins knew about his bisexuality with a marked preference for a pretty boy. And yet they hadn’t been judgemental at all but supportive. Harry had someone to talk to about it, even when it was hard for him to do so. 

He had someone.

It felt wrong to run away instead of trying to do the same for both of them.

Harry didn't care that he wasn't going to be able to be of much help either. It was obvious that they were interested in receiving it from Hermione, but teaming up was the best under all circumstances. Like Fred and George complemented each other, the three of them did too.

"Guys, I can't do that…"

"Come on, Hermione, you've got to have an idea. That's all they ask for."

The push and pull of legality worked very well.

II

Losing such a great opportunity sucked.

Since he had stood Cedric up, he needed to apologize and explain why he couldn't make it. So Harry waited for him after breakfast, thinking about how Cedric wasn’t the type to get aggrieved and that Harry was likely to be the most upset, considering how much he'd wanted to go.

"Don't worry, Harry. It's okay."

No anger.

But Cedric seemed exhausted, with soft dark circles under his gray eyes.

“You look like you didn't fall asleep on call. Rough night?"

"I haven't been able to rest well."

Harry wanted to raise a hand to touch his hair. A strange impulse. Never had he ever done such a thing. What he did was place it in Cedric's arm, over his dark, synthetic robe. For a moment, before offering to walk together to class.

Cedric was quieter than any other morning.  

Did it bother him...?

“Ced, seriously, I didn't… I didn't mean to leave you hanging."

He glanced at Harry with a frown that made it clear that he had already accepted his apology. "It's okay, Haz. Really. Maybe… next time?'

Haz.

A next time.

"Sure. I won't let you down,” he said, deciding that he would keep his word at all costs. He would find a way no matter what. When they reached the floor where Astronomy was taking place, Harry waved goodbye. "Have a good class, Ced."