12.(CH) scary sensations

CEDRIC

LIX

It was hard to resist hugging Harry when he stood at his side in the hallway between classes. Happy birthday, he said with a smile, before walking past Cedric, along with Hermione and Ron, who also congratulated him and the three of them went on their way.

He wanted to spend some time with Harry, preferably alone.

Not because they were going to do something that couldn't have an audience, like kissing.

Something he would very much like to do.

He would settle for seeing Harry later in the Great Hall.

LX

The fact that the entire Hufflepuff table received Cedric with such high spirits that afternoon was not part of his plan. His friends had proposed to celebrate in the Great Hall and of course anyone who wanted to go was invited. It was a public place, after all, and he didn't care. Even so, he didn’t expect that the room would be nearly as full as it was in the morning, nor that everyone in his house would begin to shout as soon as he entered the door, “Cedric, you can put your name now!”

Tam, Willow and Zacharias were in the crowd urging him to do it too. Someone even happened to have a piece of parchment and a quill, and he followed.

Cedric wrote his name and walked to the goblet, something that he intended to do at another time. 

At a more quiet and private one, not in front of all those people.

It was nerve-racking that everyone was looking at him.

Once done, they applauded.

A glimpse of Harry among the crowd caught Cedric’s attention before focusing on the figure heading straight for the door at a quick pace. Curly hair was easy to spot from behind. 

Malcolm.

LXI

Cedric went after him, imagining that he might be upset by his decision.

Nothing new, but he was his best friend and Cedric cared to talk about it.

He found Malcolm within minutes, only because he was just a right turn away and had his head and one of his arms leaning against the wall. Inmobile. Cedric ran in alarm to put a hand on his shoulder in order to help him. 

Tears fell from his face.

Cedric froze. "Mal, what's wrong?" 

Wiping away the moisture, he answered under his breath. “Nothing.”

“You're crying. It can't be nothing. Come on, you can tell me.”

"You won't understand." 

It was the first time he said that. So clear, so sincere.

“Test me. I'll try to do it. I promise.”

He was surprised that Malcolm seemed to be considering it.

"Remember when I told you that me and Fred wouldn't work out?" 

Of course he remembered: he had been worried about his pessimism. 

Cedric nodded, not knowing where he was going.

"That feeling..." he continued, taking a breath. "That ill feeling I had... It's the same feeling now, with you. Only a thousand times worse. I do not know what it means. It's bad, Ced. It's…”