59.(H) valentine's day means friendship

HARRY

CIV

Compared to last Monday, this one was better.

Hagrid had returned to teach his classes.

Cedric walked beside him, looking a little more like the boy he knew.

"I don't know if you knew…"

His lovely smile was present, and his voice sounded so lively that morning.

"I probably wouldn't know," Harry said with a laugh, perhaps interrupting his moment of mystery and intrigue. "Try me, but I am sure as hell I won't know."

Cedric raised an eyebrow, amused. “The Hufflepuff table always opens its doors, or rather seats, to other houses. All year long, actually, but on Valentine's Day” —he glanced at Harry from the side for a second before continuing— “they usually turn it into a breakfast of friendship. It takes some of the pressure off so no one feels alone."

Harry was pretty sure what it meant. "Considering we're the best of friends..."

"You should join," Cedric said under his breath, his smile contained. 

The smallest hint of embarrassment covered his cheeks and it was adorable. 

How very much Harry wanted to take Cedric's arm and rest his head on it on an unexpected impulse, because it might not be suitable for walking down the halls. 

"And they also organize a party…"

"I had no idea," Harry let out, genuinely surprised that he'd never heard of it. If he thought about it, he imagined that there would be other events at Hogwarts, besides those celebrations after winning a match that would take place in the Gryffindor common room and the times that the twins would transform it into a dance floor with lights on some occasional nights. "Will you go?"

He had never been interested in parties.

Now, if his boyfriend would attend…

"Yeah, I haven't missed it any year. Most people in Hufflepuff go."

"Is it a Valentine's Day party?"

All he did was glance at Cedric before turning right.

"Of friendship... and love, which can go hand in hand," Cedric explained, nodding to himself. "No one is left out that way. It is usually fun, with games and music, and it is open to all houses... but in general not many people go."

This time he wasn't so sure what it meant.

"Do you want me to go with you ? Wow, we're more friends than I thought."

Cedric laughed out loud, and Harry's heart sped up for an instant. "If you'd like to…"

CV

He just wanted to spend the afternoon with Cedric and snog him.

Or kiss him in some hidden room after his prefect patrol that night.

However, Harry had plans to bring to life —and he bet they would be worth the effort. The first step involved a visit to the kitchen, and he felt self-conscious about it. Talking to the twins about it had been quite embarrassing at first, but…

Dobby came over as soon as Harry set foot in the vast space. 

"Master! Master!" he seemed very pleased to see him and Harry hated to know that he had come for a particular reason. "How can I help you?"

"Umh... This..."

He felt sorry for coming for this particular reason.

"Dobby help with anything," he assured, waving his hands enthusiastically. "What needs?"