24.(HC) as my boyfriend, you're supposed to

HARRY

XLVII

Realizing that he had made a mistake didn’t take long.

An awful one, because it was obvious that he had hurt Cedric. 

Harry could see it in the way he was looking back at him, asi if he was having a hard time doing it. 

"I'm sorry, Ced, I…,” he held back before saying that he really did want to go with him.

What good would it do?

An image came to his mind very clearly: Cedric’s beautiful face in the front page and the way the words that would destroy him. All the comments in the halls that he would hear if they went to an event like this together. 

"The media is serious business, isn't it?" Cedric murmured with a grimace. “I didn't think… you cared about public opinion.”

And he didn't. At least not his.

Harry didn't even care what they would write about him —he was used to it.

But Cedric wasn’t. 

Cedric had never been in a situation like this before and Harry wasn't going to drag him down too. It sucked bad enough that Cedric didn't get all the attention and support he deserved to add to the fact that his name would be mixed up with his, so problematic. 

Inescapable, and he didn't want to be responsible for marking his future. 

Because no one would forget about the Tournament and Cedric was more than someone's boyfriend.

CEDRIC

XL

"It’s not that I care," Harry tried to explain. “Usually, but this time, now, we’re talking about an international event. It’s not just a simple ball nor are we... Simple spectators. We are competing against each other. Supposedly.”

Two opponents together in a relationship.

A love story he doubted someone like Rita Skeeter could do justice.

"So do you want to keep our relationship private during the Tournament?" he had to ask.

Cedric could understand that after going through such a difficult couple of weeks, Harry didn’t want to be under a judgmental magnifying glass again. The question was if it would only be for a while until the ball or… 

"Yeah, but we could tell a few people," Harry said, barely looking up. “Our close friends.”

“I already did.”

That took Harry by surprise.

“You did? Who did you tell?”

“Malcolm,” he admitted, keeping to himself that he was already like the biggest fan.

By good luck Harry looked amused. “What did you say to him?”

Cedric didn't even have to think about the answer. “That we are together.”

Then Harry laughed. “I didn't even know.”

"What did you think we were?" he questioned with slight grace. “Best friends?”

"Something like that, yes," Harry admitted, staring at him for a second before adding, "With benefits."

Speaking of which…

“I remember saying that I don't usually kiss my friends. Now my boyfriend…” Cedric spoke, holding Harry’s hand before leaning in to kiss him.