43.(CH) he is a part of this

CEDRIC

XXXI

Harry walked through the halls as if he had a clear objective.

Without question, Cedric followed him and perceived the exact moment he found whatever it was he was looking for. Cedric was surprised that it was the Weasley twins, and that Harry had asked to speak to one of them in private.

"I won't be long, Ced. Wait for me?"

Harry still wore a strange look, but sweet.

"Duty calls," perhaps Fred or George cried cheerfully. "See you soon. Cedric is in good company,” Cedric heard him say to Harry before disappearing with a laugh.

He glanced at the confused boy next to him, not sure which one he was.

Asking would be rude…

"It seems that I was wrong. I'm not his favorite."

"Harry doesn't have favorites," Cedric replied, quite sure of that.

"What about you?" he asked suspiciously. "You're his favorite of all."

Of course it had to be Fred, because Malcolm suddenly appeared.

As if he had an alarm that alerted him when his boyfriend was talking to someone else.

Malcolm kissed Fred's cheek, and stood there curious.

"I was trying to find out if I'm Cedric's favorite twin," Fred said, causing Malcolm to chuckle. "Anyone would think that you and I being together would earn me points. Harry has chosen George and left me out. A clear preference, without a doubt."

When Fred pouted, Malcolm looked as if he wanted to mock him. 

XXXII

Fred walked away, exclaiming that he needed to know what it was about. 

Malcolm continued walking, but then turned to Cedric.

"I'm waiting for Harry," he explained as Malcolm took a few steps back.

"Are you going to wait for him here alone? In the middle of a hallway?"

Although Malcolm seemed surprised, Cedric nodded.

"It's an important matter."

"I imagine so," he replied with a mischievous tone. "Because of the Tournament, right?"

Cedric rolled his eyes.

"I see that you and Fred are serious, considering he seeks my approval," Cedric laughed, sitting on the ground. "Which, of course, he already has. If you are happy, I am too. I've seen you suffering over him for a long time…"

Malcolm dropped down, drawing his knees up to his chest. "His brother doesn't like me. George. Not that I know all the rest."

"Why?" he asked out of interest, and hastened to know, "Does that worry you?"

Contrasting with his expression, he replied that it didn't. “I think it's because, uh, how I behaved with Fred and my mixed signals."

“Makes some sense,” Cedric commented, and he wasn't offended.

Will and Tam had reproached him enough those days.

What's the problem, Mal? You fancy him, he fancies you. It's simple.

It's not simple, Cedric would say without being able to use the two girls as the perfect example.

Or himself.