69.(C) as long as you love me

CEDRIC

XI

He told Malcolm what happened, because he needed to talk about it with someone else.

Someone who wasn't in the middle.

His fears that Malcolm would misinterpret it as an infidelity or that it might influence the image he had of Harry or of him, turned out to be completely unfounded.

"Harry's head over heels for you, Ced," Malcolm dismissed any concern.

And he loves me, he thought, unable to avoid a fleeting whirlwind of happiness. 

"I have never seen two people as in love as you. I have a good feeling,” his best friend smiled, and when it came to them, Cedric had it too. "If you need help dealing with Malfoy, I'm here. I think Freddy must have some special product that would help us…"

Not forgetting to remind Malcolm how much he didn't want other people to know about this, as this was a private matter he trusted only Malcolm to share, Cedric thanked him for his offer even though he had to decline it.  

XII

Harry kept him company during his March patrol.

He held his hand through the halls, a curious sensation given the slippery soft fabric of the invisibility cloak. It had the advantage that it would go unnoticed if they passed a student outside their common room or an authority, and he could feel Harry's presence with greater certainty. 

Nervously, Cedric held the door for him to enter the classroom. 

Leaving the cloak on a table, Harry leaned against the desk. 

A kiss helped calm him down. 

"I've been thinking about yesterday…" Cedric began, in relation to that awkward conversation that was spinning in his head, and the confession of their feelings that caused him to start to smile. The complete opposite of Harry, who remained expressionless and Cedric considered that he might be believing the worst again. "At no time did it occur to me to end things with you, knowing your side of the facts. What I meant was that I'm sorry if I offended you… With my question about Draco."

Looking back, maybe it hadn't been fair.

Harry fiddled with his own hands, a grimace on his face. "I'd be offended if you still think I fancy Malfoy. "

"You told me that wasn't the case," Cedric replied, under his watchful eye. "If… If you ever had feelings for someone else, would you tell me?"

That seemed to puzzle Harry. "That wouldn't happen…" he frowned for a second. "Okay, done. It's a deal. If it makes you feel better."

"It extends to both sides, of course," Cedric pointed out, the critical voice in his head whispering that he was doing everything wrong. "Which I don't think would happen either... Oh, sorry, I guess I was thinking of what-ifs…"

"I don't see any scenario where I wouldn't love you." 

The same butterflies from the day before expanded inside Cedric.

"It scares me that you don't… Don't trust me," Harry continued, doubtful.

"I trust you," he said sadly. "I don't trust Draco."

"That was the only thing I could count on him not to do," Harry chuckled and squeezed his hand. "I'm glad he didn't ruin the best thing that ever happened to me."

His eyes stung as he hugged Harry. 

“I'm sorry you had to go through that and I'm sorry I didn't handle the situation so well."