Chapter 10

The university entrance exams starts today. That's what Wonwoo's afraid of the most. He walked his way to his class with his hands inside his pockets to cover the cuts and bruises and with his head lowered. He definitely didn't want anyone to see his face, full of bruises and purple marks, as well as swollen eyes.

'Sera can't see me like this.' He thought.

Wonwoo got in to his class and went to his seat. Sitting down, he started to hear his classmates murmuring, obviously talking bad about him.

"What happened to that eccentric guy?"

"I wonder why he's still coming to school and taking the exams when he knew he's gonna fail all the subjects." Wonwoo knew what they were saying are all true. He agreed with them, he's not mad at them.

Soon, the exam started.

Wonwoo tried. He tried so hard to answer as many as he possibly could. Though, tears fell down his cheeks whilst he's answering the questions. Because he slowly began to lose hope.

He could barely remembered the things he've spent his time on studying. Nothing ever seems to come to his mind, as if he never even once studied.

"I want to be a film producer."

More tears fell down Wonwoo's cheeks.

Will he ever gets the chance to enroll at the same university as Sera?

Will he even be able to fulfill his dream and be a film producer?

What about Sera?

Will he be able to make her happy?

Will she still wants to be his friend, even if he's a failure?

-

Wonwoo rushed his way out of his class, he really didn't want Sera to see him like this, moreover that his face looks ugly, that's what he thought. He never wanted Sera to see him in this state. He never wanted Sera to know, that he actually have a weak side of him.

Why?

Because he wanted to protect her and make her the happiest woman, that is why he never wanted her to know that he's got a weak side of him.

Walking, that's when Wonwoo could feel someone pulling the strap of his bag. He began trembling as thoughts like the person is actually Sera came to his mind. Still with his head lowered, he slowly turned around to look.

There.

What he never wanted to happen, is actually happening.

It's Sera.

She saw him.

His forehead began sweating.

Sera have a bright smile on her face, how much he adored her smiling face. But upon seeing Wonwoo's face, her smile faded away as her grip on his bag strap loosened. Wonwoo quickly turned his head away, now that Sera saw his face, what is he gonna do?

"W-Wonwoo.."

"I'm sorry, I have to go now." He walked away.

"Wait!" And again, Sera pulled his arm, stopping him from taking any steps forward and Wonwoo hissed in pain as he let go of his arm from her grip abruptly and that is only bewildering her even more.

"Wonwoo, what happened to your face? What happened to your arm? What happened to you?" Wonwoo could see the tears in her eyes, that might fall any second now.

He hates it.

Sera crying is something that he hates the most.

"Let me help you. Please, Wonwoo." She squeezed Wonwoo's hands, giving him her pleading look. Wonwoo felt defeated, he didn't want to disappoint her, but he's ashamed of himself, for looking like this in front of her.

"Sorry, it's always a mess." Said Wonwoo the moment he opened the door. Sera's eyes widened because she was surprised to learn that Wonwoo actually live here, in this very small apartment. The house is indeed messy and Sera could smell something unpleasant from the sink.

They went to Wonwoo's room.

"What happened, Wonwoo? Was it your brother?" She asked as she started to wipe Wonwoo's bruises with the wet handkerchief.

He only nodded his head.

"I wish we both could just run away. It's sad, isn't it? We can't run away yet because we're still young and we still need someone to look after us, to give us a shelter and food." She sounded so sad as she stared at Wonwoo's woeful eyes.

"Food." He whispered, annoyed.

"I wish we could just be free and do whatever we want. Be happy." There, her tears fell down her cheeks.

"Why can't we decide what we wants to do with our life? Why can't we be someone who we wanted to be? Why must our lives be like this, Wonwoo?" Hearing that, Wonwoo as well have tears falling down his cheeks.

The whole time Sera's treating his bruises, he could never stop staring at her, though Sera is crying the whole time and he hates it, he still found her beautiful.

When Sera's finally done, she bent her knees in front of him and cupped his cheeks.

"Wonwoo, you are strong. I know you are. You're not like me, I'm weak and I can't raise my voice for my own rights. But you can. So please, promise me the next time your brother wants to hurt you, you fight him back. You have the rights, Wonwoo." She said, furrowing her eyebrows as she waits for him to answer.

"You're not weak, Sera. You're strong too. Everyone have the rights to speak for what they want and what they don't. Nobody is an exception." He replied, he made sure his voice sounded soft, not wanting to make Sera misunderstood him by thinking that he's mad at her when he's not.

Sera flashed him a shaky smile.

"I read your book, Sera. The character that you wrote, she's strong, she's brave, she speak up for what she wants and what she thinks are right. She raised her voice for the truth. She's not weak. You wanted to be like the character that you wrote. That character is already inside of you. You just never let it out." He said as he gave her a small frown.

It made her cry.

"It was a made up character! She exists as the character in my book because I knew I could never be like her!" She reprimanded.

"You could, you are the character that you wrote. But you hid it, you don't show it to the world." He retorted.

"The world is cruel.. How could I show it, when the world is against me? No matter how strong or brave I am, what could I do when the world despises me?" She muttered between her cry.

Wonwoo sighed.

"I don't want to see you cry. Please, stop crying." He said, wiping her tears away.

"Wonwoo.." Sera cried even more, and louder now.

Wonwoo hugged her.

That's the only thing he could ever think of, he didn't know how else he could comfort her, seeing her being vulnerable like this hurts his heart so much. So much that he would do anything to make her stop crying, even if it means to find someone who could make her happy, that is, not him.

Sera broke the hug and wiped her tears.

"You're the only person who've seen me crying. You're the only person who saw my weaknesses. And you're the only person who's always there during the lowest point of my life." She said, giving him her fragile and nebulous smile.

"Because I want to. I want to be there for you, in both your highest and lowest point in life." He firmly hold her hands.

Sera's heart skipped a beat.

"You mean a lot to me, Sera. I would do anything just to make sure you're happy, even if it means that I have to jump off the tall building or-" Sera cut him off by pecking his lips.

Wonwoo's surprised.

"S-Sera." His voice quavered.

She blushed so hard.

Wonwoo cupped her cheeks and leaned in, to kiss her.

"I love you, Kang Sera. I really love you." He confessed, staring straight to Sera's widened eyes.

-