Chapter 24

Y/N has continued to research about Seoyoon's case, however she can barely find anything. So she decided to ask her team leader about it. He might know something more about it.

"Oh Y/N? What brings you here?" Kangmin, Y/N's team leader, asked when she knocked on his door.

"I'm sorry for disturbing you. I just want to ask you something."

"Come in, sit down." The man gestured to the seat in front of him. "What's going on?"

"You know how I sometimes dig into old cases so I can learn something from them right?" Y/N used to do that quite a lot. Just look into old cases and see how they were handled in case she comes across something similar and if she didn't understand something she asked Kangmin about it. Right now, this isn't just a random case that she found, but she can't let him know that.

"Yes, you got another case for me?"

"Yeah, I do. I actually got twelve cases for you that I think are connected." Y/N answered and put the files on his desk, spreading them so he can see all of it. "In 2008, these twelve kids went missing. But the weird thing is, the cases were closed shortly after they were reported missing without the police even finding them. Four of them were eventually found, but the other cases are still closed to this day. Do you know something about it?"

"How did you find these cases?" The man asked after keeping silent for a whole minute.

"I just came across them."

"You're bringing yourself in danger by asking me about this. Just ignore this and act like you haven't seen this." His reaction confused the shit out of Y/N. Usually he just helps Y/N out. This is the first time he reacts that way.

"But why? These cases are clearly suspicious and I'm just curious about it. There must be a reason for them to be closed without having been solved."

"Did you really just randomly find these cases?" He wanted to confirm and Y/N just nodded, not liking the fact that she has to lie. She hates lying to her senior, but she has to in order to find more about it. "I never thought you would lie to me." He chuckled. "It's impossible for you to have found these cases, because no one in the police has access to them. These cases are entirely closed and you can't find out anything about it unless you actually dug into them yourself. So how about you tell me the truth now? Why are you interested in these cases and how did you find out about them?"

"I'm looking for one of the kids that went missing. I'm kind of related to her." Y/N admitted and the man nodded.

"I knew you wouldn't have found this just out of the blue. It's impossible for a cop to know about these cases if they became a cop after 2008. These cases are top secret. And even most of your seniors won't know about them. The only reason I know about them is because I was actually assigned to a few of them. It so happened that the police station I used to work back then had to deal with a few of them."

"You were? Can you please tell me more about this? Please?"

"I can't Y/N-ah. If the higher ups find out that you're looking into these cases, your job might be in danger."

"But why? What is so bad about these cases that my job would be in danger for just asking about it?"

"I can't risk telling you. We both might get into trouble if I do so."

"Please, sunbaenim... You know I wouldn't ask this if it wasn't important. I promise no one will find out about this and in no way I will involve you." Y/N pleaded.

"It would make me an irresponsible senior though."

"You're not, you won't be." Y/N shook her head. "Please, sunbaenim... It's really important and I promise I'll handle it carefully."