New Beginnings

I was holding one box of Lana's toys when I entered my new front door, and suddenly things were becoming more real.

This is it!
I will leave my past behind- neatly keep them where they belong, and see what the future holds for me and Lana.

I was lost in my thoughts when a butterfly landed on the box. It stays there for a couple of seconds, not moving, as if trying to own that space and be with me for as long as it would be allowed to.

I blinked, and realized that I have tears in my eyes. I closed my eyes and have a feel of my heart.

We're ok Lance. We're gonna make it. Lana and I will be fine.

Then as if it understood what I just said, that butterfly fluttered its wings, stay suspended mid-air in front of my eyes for a second or two, then landed on my head as if kissing me goodbye, before it flew away.

I still have my fears. But when I opened my eyes, I see the reasons why I have the courage to do this. Everyone's here. Mom and Jelai were stocking the kitchen, while Kuya and Jun were assembling Lana's bed. Tonsy was with Lana, helping that little kid in arranging her books. Mom... Jelai... I mentally counted the people in the room, and realized that two were missing. Where are Borj and Dad?

"Miss, pwedeng makipagkilala?", I heard someone said behind me, while getting the box I was holding.

I just shook my head, smiled and looked at him. "Hindi po pwede. Baka magalit yung boyfriend ko?"

"Ganyan, Ronaliza. Ganyan ang sagot!", he said, his joy reflected in his eyes.

"Ang yabang mo!", sagot ko naman, sabay kurot sa kanya.

He was about to put his arm on my shoulder when two ladies from below our floor (if I remembered correctly) knocked on our open door, and said, "Hi Benjamin! So you stay here?", one of them flirtatiously smiled at him.

"Patay!", I heard Jun said teasingly, standing from Lana's doorway.

All of their eyes were on us.
Jelai's eyes were concerned, like she has this feeling that world war 3 is about to start.
Am I that of a war freak?

"Busy ako mamya, Benjamin. I can't save you today", Kuya said, grinning at him.

Nakita ko namang isa isang silang tinitigan ni Borj.

"Benjamin... dalin ko lang to sa loob", I said, while getting the box from him.

He transferred the box to his other hand, then pulled me to stand beside him.

"Ladies, appreciate your help pala kanina when my Father-in-Law and I were finding the nearest hardware store."

Father-in-Law?!

Nanlaki naman yung mata kong napatingin sa kanya.

"And nga pala, I want you to meet my very understanding and loving wife, Roni. Love, sila yung na-meet namin ni Dad kanina sa baba", he said, smiling at me- like somehow he knew he won this one.

"Ang bilis nung turn of events. Iba ka talaga, Jimenez. Kaya sayo talaga ako e", I heard Jelai said from behind.

"May ice cream ka sa akin mamya", he said, smiling at Jelai. But when he realized that he didn't hear anything from me, he suddenly looked at me, his confidence slowly crumbling down.

Alam na alam mo pag biglang nawawala yung angas ni Benjamin.

I smiled at him, sabay yakap sa kanya, and said in my most irritating and childish voice, "Baby... I was waiting for you for forever. What took you so long? I thought you left me na". And for added inis, I pouted and gave him my best innocent doe-eyes imitation.

Then i smirked, but I was surprised when he held my face and gave me a quick kiss on the lips, then whispered, "Be thankful everyone's watching. Pull that trick again and you'll know the opposite of innocent". He winked at me, then smiled, as if he didn't just issue me a stern warning.

I felt my throat became dry, but to regain my composure, I hit him on the chest and said, "Bilisan mo na dyan, Benjamin. May aayusin ka pa sa loob"

"Love, asan na yung "Baby"", I heard him said, but I knew his smile is upto his ears.

"Iba ka, 'Tol! Tiklop ang Ronaliza", I heard Jun said, so I purposely bee-lined to him and pushed him to the doorframe.

"Pare, may pikon", he said, laughing.

"Jelai! Yung boyfriend mo, gusto na atang umuwi", I said, then I saw his face paled, then whispered, "Roni, wag ganun", then he walked to Jelai while saying, "Mine, binibiro ko lang si Roni"...

I was grinning, when I felt someone pulled my hand, Lana's door was suddenly closed, I heard when the lock clicked, and I was pushed against the wall.

"Kuya!", I immediately shouted, fearing for my life.

"Bayaw, kakausapin ko lang. Ilalabas ko din ng buong buo", then his eyes were on me, and whispered, "You were saying something earlier, Baby", then his lips were suddenly on mine.

Jimenez- 1
Salcedo- 0