Chapter XL

Ember and Riku ran out of time to train and Vanitas returned to retrieve them. Feeling better about the upcoming battle, Riku confidently returned to the Land of Departure where Sora greeted him with open arms. Riku patted his head with amusement, and Ember watched from the sidelines. She had her arms placed behind her back and rolled on her feet from heel to toe, a smile plastered on her face.

'They have an unbreakable bond.' She thought to herself.

A brief moment of jealousy occupied her headspace and she forced herself to quickly shake it away. Elrena had that type of bond with her... Or so she thought. Now that Larxene existed Ember would never experience that again.

"Having a seizure or something?" Vanitas asked her coldly.

Ember stuck out her tongue. "I'm minding my business how about you?"

"Hey! Don't bully Emi!" Sora overheard their conversation, snapping at Vanitas from a distance.

Vanitas flipped off the young Keyblade weilder and turned his back. Now that he brought Riku back there was no reason for him to stick around and he trudged away from the trio. Ember let out a sigh and turned her attention to Sora and Riku, who were conversing quietly among themselves. As they noticed Ember's gaze they fell silent, Riku awkward cough filling the silence.

"Thanks for taking care of Riku." Sora said with a grin. "I'm gonna go lecture him now, see ya!"

Ember could only watch as Sora grabbed onto his friends hands and dragged him away to one of the guests room, shutting the door behind them. For once Ember was left alone in the empty hallway and she awkwardly glanced around. The silence was almost eerie, and Ember felt compelled to check out the common area for any signs of life.

She was unaware of how long she trained with Riku for, but when entering the sitting area she simply found Aqua and Terra by themselves and conversing. When Ember poked her head in they fell silent and she sensed a common pattern today.

"Hey... What's up?" Terra asked awkwardly.

Aqua greeted her with a smile. "Your friends went outside to the training area if you want to join them."

Ember hesitated. After sharing that moment with Riku, she sought answers from everyone now. There was more to Ventus's past that only the two aspiring Keyblade Masters knew, and only those two would possibly full fill Ember's curiosity. She bit her bottom lip as she contemplated asking, but it seemed like they already knew what was on her mind.

"Ven seems happy with you all." Terra had a grievous smile on his face as if he was forcing it. "Thanks for taking such good care of him."

Ember returned the strained smile. "I can only assume you were friends with him... And Xehanort kidnapped him."

Everyone frowned, and Ember closed the door for privacy. She was attempting to avoid a long conversation, but her curiosity got the better of her.

"Yes that's right." Aqua said regretfully. "He was training to be a Master too, but he vanished one day and we haven't been able to find him for years. Now we know it was Xehanort's doing, and Ven has no memory of us."

"We've come to terms." Terra quickly stated before Ember could extend any condolences. "It hurts, but obviously he's been taken care of. Maybe someday we can reconnect but... Now isn't the time."

"I'm sorry." Ember placed a hand on her heart, frowning. "I'm sure he means a lot to you, but he's also been through a lot. As his friend I appreciate you guys not overwhelming him even if it hurts you."

Aqua shot her a grateful smile with a quick glance to Terra. They stared at each other a moment as if they were communicating with mind reading powers. Ember allowed an amused smile to creep on her lips, and she eventually broke the momentary silence.