Chapter XVI

When Ember and Axel arrived back to their home in Hollow Bastion, the waiting boys bombarded them with questions. Each of them had their own injuries as well, as even using potions or magic didn't tend to every wound. Ember tuned out their rambunctious attitudes and her attention focused on those wounds... The ones she caused. The ones that were her fault.

She ran the palm of her hand down her face as she was overstimulated by the attention and guilt swelling in her chest. It stung. Her heart pinched itself while her eyes continued to scan each and every injury she could blantly see. It didn't take long before she simply couldn't take it anymore, excusing herself from all the commotion and promising to explain her story later. She pushed her way through the crowd to her bedroom.

Ember didn't slam the door shut, but she was careless enough that the door closing was louder than usual. She grabbed the back of the chair that rested in the room and dragged it over to her vanity, where she plopped herself down and stared at herself in the mirror. With a frown Ember reached up and tugged on her hair; or lack thereof. She hadn't had it that short since she was a kid.

Her eyes lifted up towards her signature twin buns on top of her head. They hadn't been chopped off, and taking them out was going to be a task as she would have to chop it as well. With a loud and deep sigh she opened the vanity drawer and grabbed a pair of scissors, resting it on top of the desk. As she reached for her hair brush she was interrupted:

Sora

A knock was heard, an eager one. Ember peeked over her shoulder and used her voice with a croak to invite whomever inside. Sora stuck his head inside to get a look at the scene before he slipped inside and shut the door behind him.

He slowly made his way to her, resting his hands on the back of the chair and connecting eyes through the mirror. "Hey. I'm not here to ask about everything, but I wanted you to know that I'm here if ya know... Need to talk about everything."

Ember snorted from her nose in a pleasant way. "What I need to do is fix my hair."

Sora eyed her hair. "I mean... It looks great!" He winced, waiting for her response to determine if his answer was the correct one.

Ember reached up and began to take down one of her buns. "Oh just you wait for this."

Sora gasped when she released the bun, watching the uncut hair fall over the back of the chair much longer than the rest. As she began to take down the other one Sora covered his mouth with a hand, hiding his true reaction as to avoid upsetting her.

"You can laugh." Ember stated.

Sora snickered a bit and to her surprise he reached over her shoulder and grabbed the hair brush. She saw her face turning pink through the mirror as he suddenly began to brush her hair out without a word. She watched him work in the mirror, as his focus was on the job he bestowed upon himself rather than her.

Bashfully she placed her hands on her lap and straightened her back in order to make it easier for him. His hands were warm as they glided along her neck every so often. He ran his fingers through her hair after every stroke to ensure each knot was out, causing her to feel hot. What he was doing was innocent, yet her heart was thumping in her chest almost painfully yet... Lightly.

He suddenly reached back over her shoulder to replace the brush in his hand with the scissors. He finally spoke. "I'm not a hair stylist, but I'll do my best!" Sora shot her a happy smile.

"You don't have to do all that!" Ember replied frantically.

Sora waved a hand to dismiss her comment. "It's okay Emi. I just want to help if I can, okay?"