Chapter XXXIX

"Hey... Has anyone seen Riku?"

Ember poked her head into the sitting room, finding familiar faces inside. Sora joined her, his head poking from below as the pair peeked. Only Axel, Roxas, and Ventus remained seated as they all stared at the two blankly as they had interrupted their card game.

"Nope!" Axel said with a shrug. "This is the first time today we've seen you two as well, so I'm probably a bad person to ask."

Sora looked up at Ember with a worried expression and a frown creasing his face. "Maybe the training area?"

Ember shook her head. "Nah I checked there already."

Sora hummed thoughtfully as he slumped to the ground, his back pressed against the wall. Ember gave a grateful wave to the others as she slipped away and joined him in the hallway. Eraqus informed the group that a few days rest was in order, and to either train or relax before his next orders. As a few days had passed since Ember's fight with Ventus, she was prepared to get back on her feet and train. However, Sora sought her instead and she found herself attempting to find his friend out and about somewhere within their current safe haven. With no luck, Sora had slumped to the floor with a frown.

"Wonder how he's doing...?" He muttered mostly to himself, but Ember was able to hear his words.

"Are you thinking of something specific?" Ember turned to him. To her, it seemed as if Sora had a specific thought but wasn't sharing.

Sora wouldn't look at her. "I have a hunch, but I can't confirm that until I see him. But he's not on this world it seems."

"Then one of those portal makers moved him." Ember followed his train of thought. "And the only one we haven't spoken to is-"

"Me."

Sora and Ember both lifted their heads and noticed Vanitas at the end of the hall. Sora quickly scrambled to his feet and left Ember to catch up as he approached the King of Darkness eagerly. "You know where Riku is?!"

Vanitas waved a dismissive hand towards the young Keyblade weilder. "He's just training on his own right now. I'm grabbing him later today so just chill."

Sora shook his head. "You don't know him like I do. Take me to him."

Ember lifted a curious brow. Something else was nagging Sora but he wasn't telling her what. Why was he so concerned for Riku's whereabouts? The last outburst was her own, and since then things were settled and peaceful. Was Riku fighting his own battle internally? Maybe only Sora knew.

Vanitas growled with annoyance and crossed his arms with displeasure at Sora's demands. "Riku specifically asked me so you idiots wouldn't bother him."

Ember smirked to herself, approaching the confrontation with pleading eyes. "Oh come on Van, you know Sora's just worried. Take me to Riku and I'll handle it okay?"

Vanitas seemed taken back by her as he took a step back from being startled. He gritted his teeth angrily, flicking his head to turn away from her. "... Fine. But only you. Sora is staying here."

Sora snickered and turned to Ember with a grin. "Thanks Emi! You're the best."

"Nah I've just come to learn that Vanitas can't bring himself to say no to me."

"Dude?!" Vanitas growled and created the portal, trudging away before  he snapped at her.

Ember could only giggle before waving to Sora. She ducked inside the darkness and wandered back out, taking in where she was.

Valleys Echo, a place she learned existed only days prior. The world was still just as gorgeous and peaceful with a gentle breeze blowing and the suns brilliance gleaming from the sky. She took a deep breath of that fresh air before she began to walk up the hill Vanitas led her to, hoping the higher ground would assist in her locating Riku more quickly.