Chapter XIX

Vanitas had carried Ember back to their home, opening a portal to her room and tucking her into bed. The others followed of course, everyone collectively agreeing to have the meeting in her room as to keep an eye on her. Once Vanitas covered her with a blanket he settled back to his spot in one of the chairs in the room, flipping it around so he could lean forward with his arms resting on top of the back. Riku found a wall nearby Vanitas, leaning his back against it with his arms crossed. Sora and Ventus sat together at the foot of the bed, while Roxas and Axel stood beside Ember's side of the bed. For a minute the boys stared at one another, eyes darting to and from one another as they awaited someone to speak up.

Sora was the first being as fearless as he was. "So are we gonna talk about what Larxene said or what?" He straightened his back, ensuring to look at everyone in the room one at a time.

"Let's talk about how the plan failed miserably." Roxas muttered. "She didn't reveal anything to us. All she did was taunt Em."

"She showed us more than you think." Axel gestured towards Ember as he spoke. "Usually when a Nobody is created, strong heart or not, their memories are wiped. Now I know that Xemnas has a thing where he can get them back for you, but maybe she turned down the offer."

Sora raised an eyebrow in confusion. "Who wouldn't want their memories back?"

"Who wasn't allowed to have their memories back?" Riku lifted his head confidently in his answer. "Everything the Organization does is for a purpose right? It makes sense that Larxene isn't allowed to have her memories back as she has an emotional attachment to Ember."

"Sounds like she played through a script then." Vanitas propped his elbow on the back of the chair, resting his cheek inside the palm of his hand. He validated Riku's thoughts.

"And brought Luxord in to what... Give her emotional damage?" Ventus turned a worried glance to Ember.

Roxas's hands shook with anger, suddenly pounding the wall behind him with a closed fist without budging any other part of his body. "Xemnas is manipulative. If he wants Em as a Nobody that bad he'll find a way. Luxord has been with the Organization since it started, and Xemnas granted permission for his memories a while ago. What makes me mad is that if Luxord was close to Em in the past, he probably revealed everything to Xemnas. All of her fears, worries, anxieties, and whatever else she's been through that she's been trying to keep private."

Axel placed a comforting hand on his friends shoulder, feeling his body shake from vexation. Roxas allowed the hand to rest there yet the angered that swell inside him continued to fester.

Sora looked down to his lap for a moment, his fingertips clutching the frame of the bed. His brows wrinkled as he pondered what to do next. With the animosity flustering in the room he knows he needed to help the tension relax.

"I think we should take a break and see what Emi has to say about all this." He kept his head bowed as he continued. "We've reached a point of trauma. This isn't just about us versus the Organization. It's something much closer to Emi's heart."

Vanitas jumped out of his seat, the chair falling over with his sudden movement. That caused Sora to look up as the King of Darkness trudged over to him, grabbing him by the front of his shirt and pulling him close so they were eye to eye.

"So after they just traumatized her you just wanna sit back and do nothing?!" Vanitas challenged. "Just look at her!"

When Ventus stood up to stop his counterpart, Sora held up a hand to stop him. 'Its okay" Sora mouthed, unfazed by Vanitas' sudden hostility.

Sora turned back to look at the boy threatening him, ensuring to keep a straight but brave face. "I'm not doing anything without Emi's consent. This is her past, this is part of her heart. It's not my place to decide how to handle it."