Chapter XXI

"So you have failed to acquire her."

Leader of Organization XIII stood atop of his tower, staring down his failed artificial creation of Kingdom Hearts. His eyes always wandered to that heart shaped moon no matter who was present, his mind always lost in thought. He spoke with his back turned to the listener and eyes fixated where they normally did.

"Y-You have to forgive me!" Larxene had collapsed to her knees, palms pressed to the floor as she bowed to her leader. "I expected some sort of possible counter attack but I never expected -"

"That you would fail?" Xemnas never moved a muscle.

"She killed Zexion, sir..." Larxene glared to the floor, clenching her teeth together with disappointment.

"Another one lost." Saïx stood beside his leader, but he was facing the failure with narrow eyes. He kept the vanquished hand in his pocket, partially of shame.

Xemnas lifted his head even higher to look at his creation. "Number III, IV, V, VI, VIII, XIII... All have fell to the clutches of one incapable girl. Number XII..." Xemnas finally withdrew his attention to what he cherished to turn and face his subordinate. "Explain to me how this has happened."

Larxene dared to look up, connecting with his soulless orange eyes. "If you granted me permission to get my memories back, I could tell you more about Emb-"

One swift kick from Saïx silenced her argument as she doubled over, collapsing to her side. Xemnas kept his chin up and sighed with disappointment as he turned back to fixate on the moon. "You will earn your memories by capturing the girl. It is final."

"Y-Yes, sir..."

------------

Ember's eyes fluttered open as the sunlight hit her face and pooled into the room. She winced in pain, her head pounding from the night before. Ember reached down to grab for a blanket to cover her face, yet the only thing she grabbed was someone's leg. With a start she sat up and peered to who she grabbed.

Ember passed out on the couch, legs tangled with Vanitas who slept on the opposite end. Ventus was propped up on her side in front of the couch, somehow sleeping sitting up straight as his head was bowed and arms limply by his side. Ember scanned the room. Axel had fallen asleep in the recliner all the way back, with Roxas sitting up against that chair and had somehow found a blanket to wrap himself in. Sora and Riku stole the pillows from the couch and slept with nothing else on the floor on the opposite end of the coffee table.

Ember chuckled softly to herself, almost forgetting about her hangover for a moment. She assumed she would have blacked out, but that wasn't the case. She remembered every detail, every stupid comment coming from her mouth, every childish action, and every reason she drank to begin with. What was left of the liquor sat on the coffee table with the deck of cards scattered about. Despite her reasoning for drinking, she had a lot of fun. She smiled at the thought.

Her sudden touch at Vanitas's leg caused him to stir. He groaned and sat up, holding his own head and wincing in pain. Ember turned to him and giggled, covering her mouth. His eyes were sullen and exhausted, bags underneath to show how tired he was.

"The fuck you looking at?" He muttered with displeasure. He leaned back against the couch and moaned.

"Do potions cure hangovers too or just  wounds?" Ember stretched her arms above her head, attempting to stretch out her back too.

The rest of the boys finally began to stir as well. Sleeping in uncomfortable positions around the living room wasn't ideal and the sound of Ember's voice gathered their attention. Ember could hear Ventus crack his back as he slept sitting up, attempting to readjust his body to normal. She winced at how loud the crack was, but the sound was drowned out by the sound of Axels dramatic yawn.