Over

Chapter 39- Over

Demi's POV

"Mac?!"

She was covered in dirt and her clothes hadn't been changed since she left the courthouse with her aunt. Her face was covered in tears and she was sobbing collapsing into my arms. I gathered her up and fell back onto my butt, stroking her hair softly. I didn't know what happened, or who hurt her, but it was obvious something had gone terribly wrong. I could feel anger bubbling up inside of me as I thought of Mac's Aunt. The bitch was going to pay. After a second I felt a hand on my back and looked up to see Nick standing there, in just his boxers.

"What happened?"

I shook my head and shrugged, "I don't know, but we need to get her to a hospital. Can you get your keys? There's no way I can drive right now."

He nodded instantly, disappearing for a minute before coming back dressed in sweats and a t-shirt, holding his keys. I followed him out the door and got into the backseat of his jeep, looking down at Mac's closed eyes. Even though the circumstances were shitty, I was happy to have her back in my arms.

We practically ran into a hospital, and the staff recognized us so we were quickly put into a private room to wait for a doctor. He had us step out while he examined her, then called us back in.

"Miss Lovato, this child has been extremely malnourished over the past few weeks. The bruises on her body indicate sexual assault, and while I can tell you that while the abuser did not, 'go all the way', it's clear something serious happened. We're obligated to notify the police in cases like this. An officer should be here soon. Mackenzie is still unconscious, but with the nutrients we're giving her, she should be awake soon. Once she's conscious just press the red button and I will be back here quickly."

I thanked him, then went to stand next to Mac's bed, reaching down to stroke her cheek. She looked so skinny. Just the past few weeks would no doubt leave lasting damage on her. I bowed my head as I felt tears dripping down my cheeks and let out a quiet sob. Nick touched my shoulder and I turned, leaning into him and pushing my face into the crook of his neck.

"I-I should've never let them take her away from me." I sobbed, "This is all m-my fault, I could've protected her."

Nick shook his head and rubbed my back, "No Demi, this isn't your fault. You couldn't of fought the jury, they made their decision. Now we can get her back. We're gonna get her back Dems."

I closed my eyes and looked back at Mac, "I promised her I'd get her back, and that I wouldn't let anyone hurt her ever again. I broke my promise."

Nick's arms came around my waist from behind as we both watched Mac and I knew without him holding me up I would be on the floor, "She'll understand. Demi she loves you more than anything and she knows that you love her. We're going to get through this and we are going to make sure that her Aunt and whoever did this to her are going to jail for a very long time."

I gritted my teeth, "I was thinking six-feet-under." We stayed in that position for a while, watching Mac, until we heard a commotion outside the room.

"WHERE THE FUCK IS SHE?! SHE'S MY DAUGHTER YOU IDIOT SHE'S IN MY CUSTODY." The door burst open, and Mac's aunt walked in, accompanied by a large spanish guy. "There you are you bitch! You think you can just take Mac away from me!? She's MINE-"

She was cut off as my hand came across her face with a loud, resounding smack. Her boyfriend stepped forward with angry expression but Nick shoved him back.

"I really don't think you want to do that."

I stepped up, getting in her face, "Listen to me bitch. She is not, and will never be yours. She is my daughter. The second the police get here and they hear that in your care, she was malnourished and has bruises that match up with sexual assault, they will arrest you- both of you, and you will go to jail for a very long time. I will personally make sure you never see the light of a free day again. Now get the fuck out of this room before I fucking kill you."

Someone cleared their throat and I looked past her to see a cop standing there. "I'm uh, here to question the caregivers of Mackenzie Lovato?"

Mac's Aunt put on a fake, high-pitched voice and pointed towards Nick and I, "There they are, it's disgusting what they did to her."

The cop just looked her up and down, then took out his handcuffs and cuffed both her and the boyfriend, "Alright, let's go."

They were led out and Nick cupped my cheeks, leaning down to kiss my forehead, "See? Everything is going to be okay."

I nodded and pressed my lips to his, beginning to cry again. Just as I went to speak a small voice stopped me short.

"Momma?"

I pulled away from Nick and gasped, rushing to Mac's bedside, "Hey baby girl, oh my God, you're awake."

She looked around and tears filled her eyes, "W-Wheres... Where's Auntie?"

I shook my head, "You don't have to worry about that anymore baby, I took care of it." Mac's brow furrowed and I took a deep breath, "Mac... I need you to tell me exactly what happened okay? Can you do that for me?"

After a second, she nodded and looked down, "She kept getting mad because I wouldn't talk to her. She said I couldn't eat until I asked for it. My tummy hurt really bad, so I took food when she wasn't looking but she saw me and took me downstairs to the basement. It was so dark and cold. She wouldn't let me out until I spoke to her, and then... Then..." I nodded encouragingly, "Then he came in. He didn't say his name but he kept calling me Mackenzie and he was touching me and it hurt a lot so I kicked him and ran away. I just kept running."

I closed my eyes and breathed deeply through my nose, regretting slapping her aunt instead of punching her. I leaned down and pulled Mac to me tightly, "It's okay baby. I've got you now, and I'm never letting go of you again. I promise. I love you so much."

She hugged me back and I new she was crying, "Always?"

I kissed her forehead, "Always."

~*~

It was another few hours before we were allowed to leave. The lead detective in the case against Mac's aunt told us he'd spoken to a judge who granted us temporary custody until a hearing date was appointed. Although we still had to get full custody back, something in his tone told me we had nothing to worry about. Once we got home, it was around three in the morning, so we were all exhausted. Mac's death drip around my neck as I carried her from the car made it clear she didn't want to sleep alone. So, when Nick and I laid in our bed I put her on her back in-between us and looked down at her sleeping, feeling Nick's gaze on my face.

"I thought I would never see this again." I whispered, and looked at him, "Her sleeping next to me."

He smiled and kissed her forehead, "I know how you feel... Even though she's your daughter and we're not married, I still feel this incredible love for her. I want to be her father, and give her the love that she never got from a male figure. I'm just protective over her."

I smiled and snuggled up to him, keeping Mac between us, "I love you so much. Most guys would just run away and think this is too much baggage."

He chuckled and shook his head, "Now that this is my life, I can't imagine it being any different. I want this, I want us, and I want this family, for the rest of my life."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment and Vote!

Twitter: @Lovatic_Chica

-Rachel