Court

CHAPTER 37- Court

Demi's POV

Court day was here. Mac sat on my lap next to my lawyer in the defendant's chair, while Mac's Aunt and her team filed into the prosecutor's side. I gripped Mac tighter to me and she hid in my hair when her Aunt looked over at us, and I shot a glare her way.

"Okay so the child custody case of Lovato versus Rivera... Mr. Daley, you can begin."

Mac's Aunt's Lawyer stood up, "Thank you you honor. Ladies and Gentleman, we have here, a simple case that has yet again wronged a family member who wishes desperately for the rights to a girl she once was very close with." I bit my lip, trying to keep my anger in check as he blatantly lied to everyone. "You see, Mackenzie Rive- I'm sorry, Mackenzie Lovato was illegally adopted by Miss Lovato. It is clear however, that Miss Lovato here, was unaware of this. But, in any matter, justice must be served. My client believes that Mac would be better suited and better taken care of, in her custody, and is willing to offer visitation for Miss Lovato for two years until it is cut off so she can better her bond with Mackenzie. You see, Mac is very attached to Miss Lovato, as the child clings to her you can see that she will not grow close to another motherly figure unless she is, of course, separated from Miss Lovato at some point." He turned and smiled at me, "However, one must question the parental abilities of Miss Lovato, due to the somewhat hectic lifestyle of hers, and the recent events that have occurred." I looked at my lawyer who just nodded at me as if he was expecting this, which made me feel better. "You see, Miss Lovato is a world known super star, so she cannot always be the support a young child needs-"

"Objection!" My lawyer called out, "My client cannot help her profession and it is clear that other people in the spotlight have children they both had on their own and adopted!"

The judge nodded, "Proceed Mr. Daley, but choose your words carefully."

"Of course... I was mainly referring to the incident in which Miss Lovato went on tour in South America... and left Mackenzie with her boyfriend of.. six months."

"Objection!" My lawyer cried out, "Nick Jonas is a family friend of my client's since they were both fifteen! He is not just some guy that she was left with!"

"Sustained." The judge said, "Mr. Daley.."

"I know I'm sorry." The lawyer smiled at her and I was sickened by it, "And Mackenzie has also been hospitalized four times in the time she has spent with Miss Lovato. Once, at the start of a genetic disease she inherited from her father, and another from a blatant lack of interaction with Mackenzie and neglecting her."

"Objection! The word neglect seems rather strong considering Miss Lovato was simply doing what many of the jury do as parents! Going out for the night! She did have a babysitter, My client's mother and long-time friend."

"Sustained, Mr. Daley my patience is wearing thin."

The lawyer nodded, "My client is worried of neglect in the household along with suspicions of abuse. She believes it's her duty to save Mac from that toxicity."

My lawyer jumped up, "Your honor, there is no consistent evidence..."

The judge nodded, "I understand, but you need to realize that if there is even a chance this child is in danger we need to assess that. This court will be put on recess for the next week and Mackenzie will be required to attend therapy with a psychiatrist with no visits from either Demetria Lovato or Natasha Rivera."

I nearly collapsed and hugged Mac tightly to my chest, whispering in her ear, "Baby, some nice people are gonna come see you know, and you're gonna go play with them for a while. Okay? I love you so much." I whispered, tears beginning to roll down my cheeks, "I love you more than anything."

She pouted, crying too, "I love you too momma. Always?"

I nodded and kissed her forehead, "Always. I promise."

Mac hugged me and a man appeared. He had kind eyes and reached for Mac to pick her up. She went willingly, until she realized that I wasn't following.

"Momma! No! I DON'T WANNA GO BACK! I WANNA STAY WITH YOU! MOMMA HELP! YOU PROMISED!"

I burst into tears and felt arms wrap around me, and Nick pulled me into his chest. "It's gonna be okay Demi. It's only two weeks, she'll be fine. We're gonna get her back."

I shook my head and looked over Nick's arm at my lawyer, "Why can't I see her? Why can't she stay with me?"

He sighed, "Demi, if it's a child abuse case they can't have her stay with the one accused. And, since the judge has seen our case arguments, he knows that we're pushing child abuse too, so it's the only way. You can't visit her because they don't want either of you having a weight on what she tells the psychologist. We're going to win this. I have full confidence."

~*~

"So what do you want to eat?" Nick asked me, once I got home.

I sighed, "I'm not hungry."

He looked up at me, "You weren't hungry at lunch either and I said it's okay, but now you're eating. Now what do you want?"

I stared at the wall miserably, "I want me daughter back."

Nick looked up at the ceiling, "Two weeks Demi. That's all it is, and they know she's a high profile case so they gave her the best fos-"

"Don't say it. Don't you dare fucking say it Nick." I growled, "I told her she'd never go back to foster care and for all she thinks, I lied to her. I lied to her. I told her I'd never let go of her and I'd never let her go to foster care again and yet here we are and there she is. Which makes me a fucking liar."

He sat on the couch next to me, "I know you think that, but you underestimate Mac. She's smart enough to know you didn't want this to happen."

I shook my head, "You heard her as they left the courtroom! She was screaming for me. Screaming for me Nick. Who's gonna be there for her when she has her nightmares? Or needs to take her medication? Or what if she gets sick! What if the other kids are mean to her-"

"Demi. Do you hear yourself right now?" Nick smiled a bit, "You're talking like a mom, and that's the reason I'm being so positive about this. I'm being positive because I know that people see how you are with Mac, and the jury will too. They will see that you have never, and will never, hurt you. They're all parents, or know someone who is a parent, and they will sympathize with you. Okay?"

I sighed, "The next two weeks are going to be absolute hell."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment and Vote!

Twitter: @Lovatic_Chica

-Rachel