Chapter 8 - Christov Petrovich

[Re-edited: 06/05/2024]

Damovotsk, Molkovia, Earth.

Demian's P.O.V.

As the two were on their way downstairs, Demian felt his phone briefly vibrate in his pocket. 'Is it Bryn?' He thought while checking the notification on his screen. "It's her..." He mumbled before opening the message and skimming through it instantly. Lifting his head, he then turned toward his Aunt. The woman switched her expression to curiosity so quickly that the young man, whose mind was busy with sensing his body to see if he could spot any improvement, did not register the change. Smiling at the redhead, he exclaimed. "Bryn's almost here. She just texted me." The news brought a delighted smile to her face, prompting her to reply. "That's great! I'm sure she'll be delighted to see you up and about!" While wearing a wry grin, he commented. "I wouldn't be so sure about that... Well, as long as she isn't too harsh on me..."

Not letting his Aunt say anything else, he only left the words 'I'm gonna cook' before walking at a fast pace toward the kitchen. The woman, who was about to say something, kept silent instead and went on to join her younger daughter on the couch. Noticing her action from the corner of his eyes, Demian let out a relieved sigh, thinking. 'Why am I feeling so emotional about Brynhild?' Scratching his smooth chin absentmindedly, the brown-eyed teenager pondered. 'Maybe it's the teenage hormones?' A smile surfaced along with that last thought before he started shaking his head slightly. 'Whatever, I'll deal with it later. I better start cooking or the girls will start complaining.' Having made his decision, he then started cooking a light meal for dinner.

'Remember that eating too much at dinner isn't good, Damian.' The memory of his previous life's mother suddenly appeared in his mind, bringing a warm feeling to his chaotic heart. "You're right, Mom. Light meals for the win." He mumbled as if she was by his side, teaching him step by step how to make something edible. It was not that she did not attempt to teach him how to prepare something better, but he clearly had neither interest nor affinity for the craft. As the meal began to take shape, the young man noted a slight increase in his cooking proficiency. It was objectively nothing to brag about. However, for him who previously lived on mac&cheese and delivery service food, it was pretty noticeable. In any case, his attention was only partially on the meal, the rest of it being on the two chatting women lounging on the living room's couch.

The reason for that was the secretive chatter and multiple looks the mature redhead threw in his direction. Feeling a bit puzzled, he wondered. 'Did she notice anything?' Reviewing his previous actions and comparing them to the way his 'Demian' 's side used to act, he immediately found differences. 'Dang it! Of course, she noticed something different about me! It's like I'm a completely different person.' Pausing for a second, he then corrected himself. 'Completely may be exaggerating. I guess I'm a lot more confident than I was previously... With how withdrawn I was, it's not exactly a hard thing, though.' The difference between Damian's and Demian's core personalities was clearly similar, maybe due to them being essentially the same soul with different sets of memories. The problem came with the fact that his Demian's side was more extreme in his antisocial tendencies, which influenced his Damian's side and created some confusion in his mind. 'Who am I really?'

Ten minutes later, Demian's ears caught the sound of the entrance door's unlocking mechanism, waking him up from his deep contemplation. Turning his head toward that direction, his gaze fell on the tall woman closing the door behind her. Standing at around 1m80, with bright red hair braided into a ponytail and striking blue eyes, his older cousin was not an average woman by any means. Her incredible muscular frame, in particular, coupled with her other physical attributes, made him recall those vivid descriptions he read in the past about the legendary female amazons. The cold expression she was wearing completed the look perfectly, bringing a wry smile to the young man's face. 'Maybe I'm biased about her...' He thought before noticing the woman's facial muscles relax slightly when her gaze fell on the other two women. With a slight upturn of her lips, she stated calmly. "I'm home." Standing up from the couch, the middle-aged redhead exclaimed while wearing a big smile on her face. "Welcome home, sweetie! Come sit with us. We're waiting for Demian to finish cooking."