Chapter 3 - Choosing his perks

[Re-edited 23/02/2024]

Somewhere unknown

General P.O.V.

With the use of a simple thought, a soul began coalescing in front of the unknown entity, its shape still unclear. Only after a while, did the spirit acquire a human shape, turning into a naked human male. The man, however, had yet to regain consciousness, slumbering for who knew how long.

This 'coma' finally came to an end after an unknown amount of time, as his 'body' started twitching slightly, while his 'eyelids' started fluttering until they opened wide, taking in the nebulous 'view' before him. The man felt some confusion at the current circumstances he found himself in. 'Am I dead?'

As the thought traversed his mind, a sudden chuckle resounded in his 'ears' with its origin unknown. "You are very much dead, Damian Knight. There's no doubt possible here." Damian noticed the fact that the voice sounded like a male. Nonetheless, he would not take it for a sure fact as it could have easily been faked, especially for a being he met after being killed.

"You're an amusing one, for sure." He commented, amused as if he could read his mind. 'He probably can, right?' He thought, surprisingly calm about the whole seemingly crazy situation he found himself in. His train of thought was suddenly interrupted as the man's voice sounded again.

"I understand that you might have many questions, but I will only tell you what you need to know. Knowing more than that would only be detrimental to you." Pausing for a second, he continued. "Let's start with the beginning. You got killed in your Multiverse, so you were supposed to be reincarnated over there."

"That means I'm in a different Multiverse?" Damian asked. "Exactly. In my own, to be precise. Anyway, for reasons that you'll discover if you become strong enough, I took your soul away from there and I'm about to reincarnate you in my own. And since I'm very generous, I'll allow you to choose three perks to bring with you in your reincarnation. Keep in mind that they will need a certain trigger to be completely activated. Before you ask, it'll naturally appear before you at the right time."

As if an afterthought, the entity added. "Also, no instant God-like powers are allowed." Titling his head, Damian asked, puzzled. "May I ask why?" After a few chuckles, the unknown being responded. "Where is the fun in that?" After shrugging his shoulders, the brown-haired soul replied calmly. "If you say so."

"Let's start then." The entity retorted before the two started discussing what kind of innate powers he would like to receive. Fortunately, as an avid cultivation novel aficionado, it was something that he already had some inklings about. The 'negotiation' thus went smoothly, and the two ended up satisfied with the result.

"Equalized Adaptive Physiology, Love Bond and Soul Shield... A great combination of Perks. Hopefully, you'll use them well..." As the words fell into Damian's ears, his consciousness started to blur again, with only the following sentence registering in his mind. "Good luck with your new life. May we meet again..."

As the soul vanished from this dimension, the entity coalesced into a stunningly handsome man with shoulder-length black hair and an infectious smile on his face. Laughing mischievously, he commented offhandedly. "I hope the kid won't disappoint me..." He then began humming a tune, filling the seemingly empty void with his magnetic voice.