Chapter 23

Flora POV 

 I looked at Inesa who was lying in the bed. I saw dried blood on her face. My eyes burned and got watery. I brought her to my chest, remembering the words she would tell me to comfort me. I heard the door open, and turned to see Briar and Marcella. I looked away and felt her hand on my shoulder.

"Flora, is it okay if I speak to you in private?" I nodded and Briar left the room. She pulls a chair next to me, and grabs Inesa's hand.

"Look, I know not seeing Melissa has taken a toll on you. I can not imagine how hard it must be for you. I am here if you want someone to listen to you, or you just want some comfort.." I nod and hug her. I feel her tears stain my blouse, and she continues to cry as I comfort her. She is trying her best but I cannot be weak for my sisters; I must be the strong one for my older and younger sister. Slowly she stops and we continue to hug. Marcella, my older sister who suffered the beginning of that asshole's wrath. The door opens and I see Briar who looks concerned.

"Sorry but Blaise is coming this way.." I nod and we hide in one of the beds. Marcella hands me a bottle and I look at it.

"It makes you invisible.. It's okay, nothing happens.." I nod and I drink a sip, she then drinks a sip as well. We hear Briar protesting and the door opens. It's Blaise, he stares at my sister. He gently plays with her hair and sits down on a chair. He smiles softly and takes her hand.

"Hi starlight.. It's almost been a month since you fell asleep. I managed to find a sweets shop. It has macaroons, fruit tarts and your favorite; strawberry sorbet. I want to take you there starlight.. My sweet starlight." A pair of boys bring Briar inside and he glances at her.

"Make sure to keep Eden out of this room. I refuse to have them taint my little starlight.." She glares at him, and he gets closer to her.

"I am asking for a favor for old times sake.." She looks down and he walks away. One of the boys leaves a bouquet of camellias. No words are spoken but the boy leans into her ear. Her eyes widened and he walked away. Once the door closes and footsteps are heard walking away; the girls run to Briar. Marcella embraces her.

"What did he say?"

"He said the selection has already begun. If I get in the way, I'll be taught a worse lesson than before.." I feel my blood run cold at the word selection. Arella and Seraphim haven't mentioned it to me. What is the selection?

"Briar, what is that?"

"I am unaware..It's only for higher rank monsters to know about. They use code words to explain what is going on. The only thing they talk about prominently is the trip of a lifetime.." Selection of what, then Barnaby's words come to mind.

"You were made to be mine.." I gasp, was he trying to choose me? Am I a part of the selection?

"Briar, how long ago was the last one?"

"Two years ago.. It was odd; I remember that day Elizabeth would call out for a name.. What was it? I-I think it was Philomena. She would call out to Philomena; asking "why hasn't she come back for her?" I think about Honora and Melissa; that I have memories of Honora with Melissa.

"Guys did I mention how I got into the nurse's office?" They shake their heads and I look at them.

"I saw the past life of a woman by the name of Honora. She was Melissa's mistress and when I mentioned her she called her a monster who started it. But I think she misunderstood it. I was unable to save her from her death. I didn't feel happy but horrible that she was trapped. I think I know how Honora died. She was cut all over and I saw yellow-green. I think he killed her; both of them. Oh and Briar I don't know if this name means anything to you, but Amon was the name of Honora's fiance." Briar looks at me with fear and she backs away.

"Amon? Are you sure that is his name?" I nod and see how she begins to pace anxiously around the room.

"Who is he?"

"Someone who helped the monsters gain a rise of power. Nothing else is really mentioned." I look at her.

"Did he have any portraits?" She nodded and looked through her backpack and showed me a mini portrait from a book. I saw red eyes instead but my body began to ache in pain. Tears fell in my eyes, and I clutched my womb. I feel hands trying to grab me, I cry out calling out for my sweet Melissa. Melissa my love, my angel, come save me. I felt myself being lifted and saw Melissa carrying me. I cuddle in her arms, warm and caring embrace. She hummed softly and I felt my eyes getting watery.

"I miss you, please don't leave me.." She kissed the top of head and rocked me in her arms. I felt my eyes getting heavy and I was getting tired. Slowly my back hit the bed and felt her warmth around me.

"Stay please.." She cuddles me, and I feel my heartbeat faster. I slept like I never had. 

Songs: Diet Mountain Dew by Lana del Rey, Million Men by Melanie Martinez