Chapter 15

Marcella's POV

trigger warning non consensual touches( s*xual harassment) 

I looked at my paper, as the teacher began to talk about the mental and emotional impact of the reasonings of war and the human psyche. I couldn't stop thinking about Briar and the injuries that she received. Her bloody tears that fell from her eyes seemed so fresh, I still remember the strong smell of disinfectant that was used in the nurse's office. The way she said that her injuries were her fault.. Tears that fell from her eyes when she was talked down by Elizabeth.

No it can't be true that Elizabeth would be the cause of that? No, it can't be that extreme, but wait is this what she meant? I thought back on her words on how she could've stopped them from hurting me, but she didn't.

'No.. but there has to be a more plausible reason for why.. How could those injuries be her fault? Everything she did wasn't extreme.. If anything Elizabeth went to the extreme, Briar on her own just did petty things.. except when she lied about Flora..'  I heard my name, and looked to see my teacher. He glared at me, and I smiled sheepishly.

"Sorry Mr. Henderson, but can you please repeat the question?" He rolled his eyes, and I heard snickers and giggles.

"Ms. Vasiliou, do you believe that greed can play a part or at the very least influence war?" I felt a stare at the back of my head, and turned around only to see Elizabeth. Her eyes looked at my body like a piece of meat. My blood boiled at her gaze.

'I hope that bitch isn't the reason for Briar's pain.'

"I do think greed influences war, when one is greedy, there is the desire for more. In war, that desire can be fulfilled since the winning party can acquire more." He nods, and asks the other students for their opinion. Mr. Henderson continues, and I raise my hand.

"Yes Ms. Vasiliou?"

"May I go to the bathroom?" He nods, and I take a pass. I walk through the empty hallway, and pass the nurse's office. I walk some more till I arrive at the bathroom. I finish, and walk out of the stall. As I walk to the sink, I hear giggles, and the stench of sickly sweet candy in the air.

"Why do you think Briar has those bandages around her eyes?" I pretend to walk out but still listen.

"I think she had surgery.. That's what she told me.." I heard a chuckle, and noticed three pairs of shoes that occupied the stall.

"You dumbasses, that's not the reason why; she's supposed to tell you guys that."

"Then why did she tell us that smartass?" I saw the third pair of shoes move around, the click of her heels echoed.

"She got punished for being Elizabeth's bitch."

"No, she was?" I heard a smack echo, and the click of her heels stopped.

"She was her right hand, the right hand is supposed to protect the reputation of their leader. She was only encouraging the endangerment of her reputation and didn't try to reason with her.. She only got what she was, a blind follower..." I heard the stall door open. I saw it was one of the girls that helped put me in the nurse's office. She smirked and glared at me.

"Well if isn't the same bitch, that made Briar to get punished?" I shake my head. No it can't be, I didn't do anything..

"Wait, she started this?" I glare at the girl on the right, my anger flared, now only seeing red.

"Elizabeth started this, the moment she started to not only attack me but my roommates and made our lives a living hell!" I yell, hearing the echo bounce off the walls. The click of her heels got closer, and I felt a sting on my cheek. I saw her eyes flash green, and a strong grip on my throat.