Part 57:

(⚠️Warning: Heavy Violence!)

(Y/N's POV)

It causes me emotional pain to see everyone resort to such desperation because of my hand. I drew up the plan for this game, the room, the everything. It was because of me that these people before me were viciously tearing up the ground, searching for their key.

I watched, anxiously, as a man and woman walked by them. They went directly in the middle of the scouring group, and they seemed too calm to not have a key. They definitely had two. I saw a glint, and I was pretty sure that it was from something golden.

One lady immediately stopped digging, and she turned to the couple with her hair in front of her eyes, matted, like Samara from the movie "Ring". Her nailbeds were dripping blood, and her fingers were curved like talons. She looked like a being, not a person.

She rose, straightening each of her vertebrae over a few seconds, and then turned to them once again. She walked towards them, pausing in front of them. They stopped, looking a little fearful at the lady in front of them. I wasn't even in danger, but I felt scared too.

A few others had noticed the lady get up, and they now stood too. The man and woman held onto each other, seeking out a bit of comfort in this situation, and I cringed.

The Samara-lady stepped up to them and said "give it to me...". The woman looked to the person she held, and he reaffirmed her to stand her ground silently. She looked back to the other female in front of her and shook her head, saying that she needs this key to be alive. The lady did not take kindly to this, and she lunged, pushing the woman to the grass, making her slam her head back. The dazed woman, most likely concussed, didn't seem to remember what was going on, and the scary one on top of her tried to pry the key from her hands. The man didn't let this happen, and he tried in vain to yank the lady off of the girl, but she just turned her anger to him and bit him on the neck. He screamed in pain, and I gasped.

The man fell to his knees, holding the wound, and everyone else there went to him. Samara started to pull the key from the woman's hands, and she got it. The lady on the ground had some kind of head trauma, and all she did was stare up at the sky, moving her head sometimes. The man was beaten and assaulted by the other man who were digging, all trying to get the key he held. He screamed in agony as he perished. Samara had the golden key in her hand now, and nothing else mattered to her, and left to go get through the door, but a man previously on top of the bloodied man pounced on her. He grabbed her ankles and pulled her down, turning her onto her back and punching her in the face until she no longer moved. Her nose had been bashed in, the bones going into her head for it was completely flat, and it poured down her pale skin and seeped into the blades of green grass. The dirtied man looked crazily at the golden key he now held, and, knowing how he reacted to somebody else getting a key, ran away from the scene as fast as his legs could carry him.

As the four men on top of the dead man paid no attention to Samara, preferring the key instead, fought each other and tried to rip it from each other's grasp, I looked at In-Ho. He held no emotion in his expression, and I looked down at the video projected onto my tablet. I didn't want to look at what was happening in front of me anymore, but all I saw was the man from before granted entry into safety. I didn't feel good about it. 3:04 left, and 78 people alive.

       ...

        There were multiple bloodied bodies in front of us. It ended up that the men all turned against each other and ripped one another to pieces after finding out that none of them had the key in their grasp. They looked down at all of their empty hands and turned their attentions to their neighbor, clawing at their faces and trying to bite anywhere they could. One of the pairs of men fighting died from the wounds they caused each other, leaving nobody the winner of that bloody battle. One had dug their long nails into the other's neck so deep that he bled out slowly, and the man with the gashes in his neck tried to choke the other man and beat him to death. He succeeded, but then he succumbed to his wounds and fell down right next to his victim. The other two men fighting actually had a winner, but the key was in plain sight the entire time because one of the men had actually been sitting on the key. Not caring anymore, they just went at each other. One ended up pinned to the ground, his lighter hair making him easier to differentiate from his peers, and he was brutally slammed into the ground multiple times. He died after about 5 rounds of the head injury, and his blonde hair was thus dyed red. The man did not stop even after the man's eyes rolled back in his head while his body went limp, and I could see his head getting flatter and flatter with each time his body was brought up and down.

      His head on the back had turned into a bloody mess, and I averted my eyes to look at the timer instead. There was less than a minute left. I heard two gunshots go off, so two more people died from the silver keys. I also saw the door shift positions about 5 times, but that doesn't exactly mean that only 5 got through. The count was at least 83 left, and I was decently happy with that number. I would probably still complain about it to In-Ho later, should he ask if something is bothering me, and make it clear that my games were now "ruined".

        I actually saw four people run through the forest at most likely recording-breaking speeds. One girl, with short hair, reminded me of Sae-Byeok. I smiled sadly. There was another girl, same hair color as 067's friend but longer length and taller than the other one, sprinting with her. The others were men who reminded me of nobody. They all held golden keys, and the man who had just killed the other player was too preoccupied with admiring his handiwork to notice four people running past him. Speaking of, I hoped he wouldn't cash in a key, but if he was going to, he'd better hurry up. Right now, there's only 0:17 left.

      The guy, I now paid attention to his number which is 079, had actually found the key. He held it like a prize he worked towards for his whole life, and bursts of carbon dioxide came out of him quickly as he almost hyperventilated from... relief?

      The relief was short lived, though, because he did not turn his key in in time. Another guy, who was way too calm in a death game, had walked from a shadowy corner on the opposite side of me and In-Ho to get through the door at nearly the last second. At 0:02, the soldiers guarding the door exited the room seeing as though nobody else was approaching.  That left everybody trapped as the timer ran out and steel slid over the exit door. Somebody had run up to it after the staff vacated, but of course, they couldn't get out. It was a woman. She pounded furiously on the doors, fearfully begging to be let out, for people to have mercy, but nobody cared for her pleas.

      Switching to a camera at the very front of the room, I saw three staff members in full padding; the ones used when training police dogs in case of bites. They protected you from teeth penetrating the skin, but not much else. You still felt the impressive bite force and accompanying pain. No other workers were in that room, and each held the leashes to four dogs. They all growled, snarled, and drooled. Spit came out from the open sides of their mouth, dripping from between their rows of gleaming teeth. They appeared to be Doberman Pinschers, but I couldn't tell through the darkness on the room. Some of them anxiously stomped their feet, moving in place against the leash holding them back. I saw the one in the middle look at both workers on his left and right then nod. They all let go of the chains at the same time, yelling a sort of command that told the dogs to go.

      They all ran off faster than I could keep track of because they blended in with the darkness too well as well as speeding off too fast. Within the five seconds the dogs were let go, I heard a high-pitched scream from a woman, or honestly, it doesn't have to be because I'm sure anyone would scream the same way if they saw a rabid dog running at them with a rage. Many others joined in the cacophony of yells as they were torn apart by the animals, and I almost wanted to cover my ears. I switched the cameras to one with a view of the middle of the forest, and I stumbled upon the sight of a man laying down, his stomach being feasted on by a dog. His head lifted up, and I could see red painted on his snout. He licked it off and resumed searching for other victims.

      "Can we go now?" I asked In-Ho.

       He nodded and took a step closer to me so that he could bring me back to my room. I took one last look at the carnage and turned my head away, not to look at this scene again.

   Original Publish Date: September 27, 2023