Part 20:

(⚠️TW!⚠️ Hallucinations, PTSD, etc)

     I held my stomach. Oh my god... I would've picked (any number earlier than 12 or so) and I would die! 18 tiles. If one person gets only 1 tile and the next get 2 tiles and so on... that's 1.5 a person. 18/1.5=12. 12 people, on average, would die. About 13-16 will win if the game of played as it is supposed to and if they have the average game.

    There would be nobody to help me on this. I would be gone.

    I wiggled around and shifted from foot to foot, but tried not to catch anyone's attention.

    Right now, if not for Il-Nam, I'd be there. I'd be there, and I would be counting my minutes. I would be one of those terrified people.

   I saw the Front-Man staring at me. When did he start staring at me? Does he know what I'm thinking? Does he know that I'm freaking out because right now I'd be-

   I felt something touching my hand. My bare fingers felt covered ones and I blushed slightly. Did I accidentally touch his hand?

   With what happened next, I assume I did not. He entwined his fingers with mine and gave me a gentle squeeze before pulling back abruptly.

   What was that for?

   I looked back into the room in front of us. The guy who picked number 1 looked defeated. He looked towards the pink mask.

"That means the numbers on us..." he trailed off, knowing what his fate was.

"Are the order in which you will cross the bridge," the manager finished.

He shakily looked out at the rows of tile. Some kind of light, maybe a spotlight, flashed on him suddenly. It went over him about every couple seconds. He slowly turned to Gi-Hun. He looked down, and the guy seemed to certainly regret his choice. He looked back to the manager.

"But then... how do I tell which is the tempered one?"

He was met with silence. He understood he was alone in this.

I then felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned to see Frontman trying to give me something. It was a pair of glasses on a stick. I assumed they were magnifying glasses, since the bridge was so far from us. The rest of the VIP's were also using them.

I put mine on and saw great detail. The first on the white stripe of the man's shirt, his collar sticking up a bit, the sweat on his forehead, everything. He was walking very cautiously. Panther called him something and then downed a shot.

"Bring me another scotch," he demanded the black mask. (Remember! This is NOT Jun-Ho! That was last year.)

The guy in the unsettling black mask hurried over to the man. He grabbed the rectangular bottle of brown liquid and poured it into the glass that the Panther had in his outstretched hand. When he was finished, Panther grabbed his arm.

"I don't wanna have to keep calling you back," he complained. "Sit down. Here."

     (Frontman's POV)

I was too busy in my own head about this whole situation. Last year, when we were in a differently decorated room, my brother was in here with me. From the second I found out he was on the island, I knew that he was only a few dozen feet from me. He was serving the panther mask, similar to what another worker was doing. The Panther also once again was to inpatient to just wait for the man to walk about 10 feet.

"I'm gonna keep this one next to me. Any objections?"

Everybody dismissed him because they were too focused on waiting to see if they can catch the start of seeing what Number 1 was going to do. The man was frozen with fear.

"For this game, you will have 16 minutes. Players must cross the bridge within those 16 minutes. And now, with that, let the game begin. Each player, take off your shoes, then go up to the tiles in order."

I saw that Player 096 was now using his feet to take his shoes off. How clever. He walked up only a step forward and looked off in the distance. He stepped up on the ledge. The sound of ticking filled the room as the timer started.

Stupidly, the players let him hesitate for a whole 1 minute and 20 seconds before trying to rush him. I would never have let that happen in my game. I would've gotten someone or myself to push him on one of the tiles. I scoffed. Idiots.

The only non-stupid one, I guess, was Y/N. She was the best one there. She was smart, pretty, strong... I mean ew. Ew, no. I'm not even looking at her right now. Totally not staring at her, wishing I could comfort her after what I'm guessing was her thoughts raving about her being dead from this game. I knew this would happen, yet it still did not prepare me for it.

I decided to not watch the games for now, an I instead looked at the man sitting with the VIP wearing the Panther mask.

I stared for a bit too long, and the man noticed I was staring at him. He stood up. I had quite a mind to open my mouth to yell, but something stopped me. He suddenly pulled off his mask to reveal the face of Jun-Ho.

I heard a whisper.

"Brother."

He was coming towards me. How? His legs weren't moving. It seemed as though he was just gliding. Floating towards me.

I wanted to take a few steps back, but I felt paralyzed. I looked around, and it seemed as though nobody noticed Jun-Ho. They were all too focused on the game.

Even to my left, Y/N was there, not even realizing there was a whole person blocking her line of sight.

Jun-Ho looked at her as I did. We both looked back at the same time. Again, there was the gun-shot in his arm. How did I not notice the state of his uniform before? There were strict regulations about them that I always checked everyone for.

"Brother... let her in."

As we stared at each other, I felt a tug on my arm. It was light as first, but then it became more urgent. I heard a small voice.

"Hey..."

I blinked and everything was exactly how it was a minute ago. My brother wasn't there, the man was shifting uncomfortably under my stare, and Player 1 had not moved. I felt a tug again.

I looked to my left and Y/N big, shining e/c eyes met mine.

"I heard you breathing heavily, and then you wouldn't answer me. You were just staring at the worker," she whispered. "Are you alright?"

I looked away from her, not responding. I couldn't. She... I can't be friends with her. I can't care about her. Not after what happened to Jun-Ho.

(A/N: Omg guys! Two chapters in one day?! Is my writer's block gone? Am I just in a writing mood today? Are you guys proud? I have no clue, but I hope this behavior continues. I'm gonna work on my last chapter for the day, and it might come out today or tomorrow. I hope it is today, and it probably will be. I hope you guys are so proud! Thank you for all of this support. I never thought my writing would get this far. Don't forget to follow me and vote! ❤️)