Part 29:

(Not so important A/N: remember that the languages are constantly switching between Korean and English depending on who is talking. Korean for people present in the game set up, English for the people spectating.)

We entered the same room as yesterday and I saw that the VIP's were not there. No models were present. There was only a very simple color scheme with all the darkness, which was black and gold. The shadows were obviously black and the few light fixtures that gave off warm light.

"They should be on their way by now," the Front Man mentioned. I looked ahead into the glass and nodded. There were the shapes that this place was built upon. A square, triangle, and circle in the shape of a game space. I wonder if that's a coincidence.

Hearty laughter came from the corner of the room we entered from, and I cringed. They're here. They made their way over to us and took their place overlooking the playing area. I noticed fondly that the Front Man moved to my right, shielding me from the men who were placed on that side. How sweet.

As if divinely inspired, a pink man came out from the direction we were in and Gi-Hun and Sang-woo followed. They were both very fancily dressed; neither in their dirty tracksuits.

"For the final game, you'll both be playing squid game," the manager announced. I thought it odd how clear his voice was heard even from up here.

"Squid game..." Lion repeated. "What an odd name."

"It was originally a children's game that was played in Korea many years ago," In-Ho explained.

"Let me explain the rules of squid game," the manager spoke, leading 218 and 456 farther into the room. "One: the attacker must enter the squid-shaped court, run past the defense, and then tap the area inside the squid's head with his foot to secure the win. Two: the defender must block the attacker's advance and force them outside of the court's bounds in order to win. Three: If by any chance, the situation arises where either player is unable to continue playing the game, the last one standing will be the winner."

The manager stopped and turned around. The two men in suits faced each other.

"A player's unable to continue...would you explain that?" Gi-Hun questioned.

"That would be referring to the player's death," he bluntly replied. "And now, with that, let the game begin."

Gi-Hun swiftly turned and started to walk towards the point of the triangle. Being American, I had never seen or heard of this game before, so I was intrigued on how this was going to play out. It seemingly required strength and strategy. If that was true, sadly, I was betting that Sang-Woo would win. That doesn't mean I want him to win. I just think that's the most likely outcome.

"Among all the games that kids played back then, it was the most physical and violent," the Front Man said ominously.

"So any kind of violence is allowed?" Lion asked.

"Yes. There are no restrictions."

Gi-Hun reached his bloody hands down to tie his dress shoe laces. He was so intentional with it that it was kind of funny. Something Sang-Woo didn't notice was how he grabbed a handful of sand. Ouch. That could come in handy later on.

Both stared at each other like they were in some kind of western movie. Sang-Woo exhaled deeply and Gi-Hun completely faced him now. He randomly started hopping, and I stupidly wondered if tying his shoe hurt his foot that much. Maybe that wasn't even the same shoe he tied?

The other Americans in the room seemed to be equally as confused as me, so I imagined that the reason Front Man was so unsurprised was because this was part of the game or some kind of common tactic used.