Chapter 22: Sunset / Growl Contest

Paisley's POV
Some evenings, just before dinner, I go to this hilly bit and watch the beautiful sunset. Shades of pink, orange and yellow in the sky. This is a truly beautiful time. I heard footsteps behind me. I turned my head around to see Atlas. "Oh sorry! I didn't realize you also come here too, if you want I can leave." Atlas said. He was walking off. "Wait! Don't go, you can sit as well." He walked to me and sat next to me. Atlas was very nice and a hint overprotective. While still looking at the sunset I said, "thank you for protecting me and standing up to Chief for me today, I really appreciated it." "It was probably the bodyguard instinct. Sorry if you thought I was weird acting like that." "No I didn't think it was weird." I wanted to tell him my story. "When I was 9, my owners brought home Zane. He was a puppy by that time. We would sometimes go to dog parks and when he was young he would get bullied and I always felt like his older sister, so I protected him and stood up for him." "Wow, we're really alike, aren't we?" "Yeah. It's really beautiful tonight, don't you think?" "Yeah it is." "It's getting close to dinner time, we should get inside." "Yeah you're right." We got up and started heading to the dinner hall.

Bailey's POV
We were all wondering where Atlas and Paisley was. I was getting the most impatient. "Okay but seriously, where are they? It's almost time for dinner being served and they aren't here!" Then suddenly Atlas and Paisley walk in. "You're finally here!" Cindy said. "Haha sorry for the wait." Atlas said. Atlas sat next to me, I was saving a spot for him. And coco was saving a spot for Paisley. Paisley sat next to Atlas in the seat Coco was saving.

Finally Chef Diego came around with dinner! "Kebab Skewers with Fried Rice! Enjoy! No questions tonight eh?" We all shook our head

Finally Chef Diego came around with dinner! "Kebab Skewers with Fried Rice! Enjoy! No questions tonight eh?" We all shook our head. " I can be the taste tester." Coco offered. She took a bite. "Good." We all started to dig in. "Hey Atlas, don't forget the growling contest." Elton reminded him. "I know, I know." "Don't you guys recognize Chef Diego from school?" Mishka says. "I feel like he's the chef there." "I don't know, because I haven't been to the school yet." Paisley said. "I know that, I was asking the people who have been to the school, we all know you haven't." Mish replied I didn't want to say anything, but I reckon that Mishka was being a bit rude. "Maybe, but Zane, why did Nala come over again to day?" Stewart asked. "Ummmm."

Flashback!
Zane's POV
There was a knock on the door, I decided to answer it. Nala was standing there. Oh no. I knew what she was here for. "So Zane about those snacks-" "heya Nala! Um can I give you the snacks tomorrow because I still don't know which ones I'm saving for the midnight feast." "Fine but i better have them tomorrow." Nala said. Then she left. Phew. I wasn't planning a midnight feast. "You're doing a midnight feast?" Cosmo said excited. "No, I was faking that." "Oh."

Atlas's POV
"Umm Atlas, Chief is walking over to our table." Akira told me. I looked behind and saw Chief coming towards me. I quickly turned back to my food and kept eating. I knew Chief was now behind me. "Atlas, it's time." I turned around. "It is? Look I haven't finished my food!" "Well I've finished mine and I'm ready." Everyone in the hall's attention was drawn to Chief and I. I gave in. "Fine, let's get this over with." I heard whispers among people. "Do you think Atlas will be tough enough?" "Nah Chief gonna beat him for sure!" "What is even going on?" "Atlas, you can pick someone to count down." Chief said to me. I looked at my friends. Artemis had her paw up. "Uh I choose Artemis." I said. Artemis got up and came to Chief and I. "Ready? 3," the tension was building. "2," I was stressing. "1," Chief was staring me down. "Go!" Then it started. We were both growling. Chief had the occasional snap. Then I heard an entire table cheering. But not for me. "Go Chief!" Then they banged the table. "Go Chief!" They banged the table again. It was Glitter, Amber and their dogs. They kept chanting. "Let's go Atlas, let's go!" My table started to do. And from that I was growling stronger now. And when Chief was about to snap, I snapped instead. I heard a conversation from the difference. "Go Chief!" Aina said. "Aina, why are you going for Chief?" Cloud asked her. "Because Chief is definitely going to beat Atlas, you all should be cheering for him too!" "Aina, eyes up, Chief is with Glitter and Amber the mean cats." Nova tried to reason with her. Their table except for Aina started to cheer for me. And as that happened, a few other tables did the same. This was helping me beat him. Chief was struggling at this point. "C'mon Chief just outgrowl him!" Glitter said. Then Chief pulled away, "fine you win, I give up." Everyone who was cheering for me cheered. Arthur held my paw up. "Ladies and gentlecats and dogs, Atlas is the winner!" The whole hall went wild. I had won!