Chapter twenty six stay

Bluebella was a stranger to nightmares. Faeries often didn't dream, so it was something she had only recently realised humans did. 

She knew it wasn't normal however, for Stiles to wake up screaming in the night, horrible, blood curdling screams that shook her right to her core. Screams of pure fear, pure pain or both. It was haunting.

She tried everything she could think of, all the potion remedies her mother had taught her but nothing would work. She didn't know any magic that could help it, and began to curse herself for not paying attention to magic more when she was a faerie student.

As a result, Bluebella had not been sleeping much, and would often lay awake for hours, listening to her friend's screams, knowing there was nothing she could do.

She used to go into the room, hold Stiles until he fell asleep again, but she couldn't stop her tears from falling - and the Sherriff assured her to go back to sleep and he would take care of everything.

It was a comfort in a way, she'd never had anyone before offer that kind of calm reassurance, and although she didn't believe him, it provided some warmth. 

Stiles of course, acted like nothing was wrong, downplaying it to make himself less afraid. 

Bluebella was seated at the table, a mug of tea clutched in her hands. She was all ready for school, and now autumn had hit beacon hills, she had opted for a green jumper, paired with a shorter black skirt and black tights. She looked put together - from afar.

If you looked closer you could see the concealer creasing under her eyes, a desperate attempt to rid the dark circles. Her hair was also messier than usual, though she was blessed with curly hair that seemed to make messy look natural. 

The Sherriff was seated opposite her, a mug of coffee in his hand, reading the morning paper. He glanced at his watch.

"Do me a favour Bella, go check Stiles is up?" he asked. Bluebella nodded with a slight smile before knocking on Stiles' door.

"Come in!" he called. 

Bluebella opened the door slightly, leaving against the doorframe, her tea still in her hands. 

Stiles was in his room, packing textbooks into his bag, glancing at them slightly before piling them all in.

"You okay?" Bluebella asked carefully.

Stiles turned round to her, barely meeting her eyes "I'm fine," he said unconvincingly.

Bluebella walked in, taking the textbook from Stiles' hand.

"We've only got History, Maths and English today Stiles, why have you got every book in there?" she asked, frowning at his bag. 

Stiles hesitated, he hadn't told anyone he'd somehow lost the ability to read - if he told anyone that would make it true, and facing that truth was a hell of a lot scarier than ignoring it. 

Bluebella began repacking his bag carefully, before zipping it up and handing it to him.

"You didn't have to do that," Stiles said quietly. Bluebella looked up at him, trying to meet his averted gaze.

"Hey - Stiles," she said gently "Look at me okay? Whatever this is there will be a cause, and wherever there is a cause there will be a solution. We just need to find it," 

Stiles looked as if he were about to say something, when the Sherriff knocked on the door. The two took an awkward step back from each other, not realising how close they were.

"Hey. You all right? You ready for school?" Noah asked concerned.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm good." Stiles said, hoisting his bag on his back. His father didn't look overly convinced.

"Dad, seriously, I'm fine. It was just a nightmare." He reassured, before glancing at the box in his father's hand. "What's that?"