Chapter twenty four - Kiss

Bluebella had opted to stay with Lydia, the thought of facing Stiles when she had done nothing to protect his father was altogether too much, especially after all he had done for her. So on Lydia's bed she sat, doodling in her maths book as Lydia and her mum talked over different makeup techniques.

"Okay, sweetheart, this is not a problem. Having gotten my share of hickeys in high school, I developed some patented cover-up methods. And  If you don't want to go to school, honey, you don't have to." 

Bluebella huffed a laugh at the bruises on Lydia's neck being compared to hickeys. Lydia stared at herself in the mirror, her eyes clouded over.

"That's not it. It's just... Someone tried to strangle me... And I survived. I don't need to hide that." Lydia said softly, pushing the makeup brush away. Her mother smiled, a sense of pride swelling up in her.

"No. No, you don't. But we're still gonna do your hair, right?" she smiled at her daughter.

"Of course we are doing my hair."  Lydia smiled in true Lydia fashion. 

Bluebella couldn't help but feel a twang of sadness in her heart as she looked on the two. Her mother was gone, and she would not have her to share those moments with. And although Bluebella's mother didn't braid her hair, or offer to many kind words, she did teach Bluebella English, taught her how to swim, and in hindsight kept her safe from the man she married. She found herself grateful for the human soul that took it upon herself to look after Blue, a soul Bluebella had nicknamed Dia. But she would never have her real mother. 

She was shaken from her thoughts when a knock on Lydia's door came, and Stiles stood, giving an awkward wave.

"We need to talk," he said. Bluebella felt her heart freeze over, her throat swelling at her sheer panic on what he was going to say. It was a strange feeling, the way her emotions now triggered a physical response, as if being human seemed to amplify everything.

"All of us," he added, seeing Bluebella's white face.

Lydia's mother excused herself with a smile, winking at Bluebella who just gave her a puzzled look in return. Stiles sat on the chair opposite the two girls, a heavy expression on his face.

"Scott joined Deucalion," he finally said "They struck up some sort of deal to save our parents but now...no one can reach him,"

Bluebella shook her head  "I don't believe it. Scott can't really be with them. He can't be. His moral code is far too strong,"

Stiles shrugged. Bluebella could tell he was slightly panicking, but she had no idea what to do. "You didn't see the look on his face, though. It was..." he trailed off and Lydia sighed.

"Then what can we do? Bluebella's got one last night and then she's human, and  I mean, I get that I'm some kind of, like, human geiger counter for death, but... I don't know how to turn it on and off yet. All I know is that she tried to kill me because of..." Lydia paused, her brow furrowing as she thought. Stiles straightened up

"Because of what? Hey, Lydia, what?"

"When she called me a banshee, she was surprised by it. What if that's not why she tried to kill me?" Lydia asked, her tone unwavering. 

"Then why did she?" Bluebella asked, swinging her legs over the bed.

"That's what we need to find out."

"What if it's about the alpha pack?" Bluebella asked "She knows your close with Aiden maybe it was something to do with that?"

Stiles nodded, "We need to find him," 

Bluebella was silent on the way to school, opting to sit on the back of Stiles jeep as she stared out the window. She didn't know what she was feeling, perhaps it was the magic that was leaving her that was making her so on edge, or perhaps it was the fact that she couldn't stop people getting hurt.