Chapter Eighteen - Memory

Bluebella regretted trying so hard in cross country, as now she was sat on a stuffy bus, her head clouded, and her vision slightly blurred. Behind her sat Scott and Stiles, Scott whom looked a little worse for wear and Stiles who was increasingly more worried by the minuet.

Stiles was clearly trying to distract himself by helping Scott study, despite his best friend not being in the mood for it. 

"Hey, yo, Scotty? Still with me?" he asked.

Scott winced "Yeah, sorry. Uh, what's the word?"

"Anachronism." Stiles read out

"Something that exists out of its normal time." Scott recited.

Bluebella drowned them out, unable to stop thinking about the events that last night. Had she known that upon leaving Derek in the loft it may be the last time she saw him, she would have at least said a proper goodbye. Or even been there at all. Instead she was home, having a nice bubble bath whilst her old friend was fighting for his life  - literally.

Why hadn't he told her?

"Nice. Okay, next word... "incongruous."" Stiles read out. Scott winced again, this time frowning in concentration

"Um, can you use it in a sentence?" he asked 

"Yes. Yes, I can. It's completely incongruous that we're sitting on a bus right now, on our way to some stupid cross-country meet after what just happened... incongruous." he said sarcastically

"Out of place, ridiculous, absurd."

"Perfect. Okay, next word. Um, Darach. Darach, it's a noun." Scott stared at him  "We have to talk about it sometime, okay? And we're gonna be stuck in this thing for, like, five hours, so why not?"

Stiles gathered from Scott's silent response that he was still not quite up for talking about the dire situation at hand. He glanced at the girl in-front, she hadn't uttered a single word since that night, Stiles was pretty sure she hadn't even blinked.

"Next word..." he cleared his throat "Intransigent.""

"Stubborn, obstinate." Scott said quickly.

As the bus went over yet another bump in the road, Scott groaned in pain, almost doubling over.

"Oh, buddy, you okay?" Stiles asked concerned. Scott nodded, though it wasn't convincing.

"We shouldn't have come. I knew it. We shouldn't have come." he decided, spazzing out slightly. 

"We had to. There's safety in numbers." Uttered Scott weakly.

"Yeah, well, there's also death in numbers, okay? It's called a massacre... Or bloodbath, carnage, slaughter, butchery, wow, that's..." he trailed off slightly, looking at his friend.  "All right, Scott,
I'm telling coach that..."

"No. No, no, no." Scott cut him off quickly  "I'm all right."

"Well, you don't look all right." Stiles said flatly  "Would you just let me see it?"

"I'm okay." tried Scott but Stiles wasn't buying it.

"Just let me see it, okay?" he said, his tone slightly softer.

"Okay." Scott sighed.

There werewolf lifted up his shirt slightly to reveal deep claw marks. They were red and raw, the blood around it drying, but fresh blood still slowly oozing out when the bus made a particularly sharp turn. Stiles flinched,

"Oh, dude..." he said, trying not to look absolutely disgusted.

"I know it's bad, but it's because they're from an alpha. It'll take longer to heal."

Stiles still wasn't buying it.

"How come Boyd and Isaac are fine then?" he asked. Scott didn't listen, merely put his head on the cool window and sighed.

"I can't believe he's dead. I can't believe Derek's dead."

In-front of him, Bluebella shed a single tear.

Bluebella was very excited for this bath, as in her loft there was just a shower and she hadn't taken a bath since she left home to faerie. So she acquired all necessary to make it feel like she was back at home. For as much as she preached wanting to be human, she missed the little things she had once taken for granted.