031

•-•-•

~~~

-Chapter 31-

•-•-•

"What are you talking about?" Jiseon snarled up at Jiseok, eyes filled with hate.

"Nothing that has ever happened in your life has been by mistake nor coincidence." Jiseok began pacing in front of the group, hands re-clasping behind his back.

The others watched with guarded eyes as he rambled on, his words aimed at no one but his daughter. They would be ashamed to admit that they were interested to hear more about their newest companion.

"Tell me, Ji. When your mother was killed, you thought she was killed by the Kangs, right? That's who claimed the achievement of striking down one of the feared Kwons."

Jiseon didn't say a word in reply, but her father continues nonetheless.

"But who do you think ordered them to do so? Who do you think revealed to them the location of our home in that cozy little neighborhood, hidden away from sight?"

A cold feeling settled in Jiseon's stomach as she quickly caught on to what he was implying. All she could hear was the rapid pitter-patter of her heart racing in her chest.

"No...you didn't..." She whispered, not wanting to believe what was so blatantly true.

"Oh, but I did. Let me tell you a story. After I left the three of you, I realized that you were nothing but burdens on my shoulders going forwards. I couldn't stand having loose ends that were a product of my weakness. And so, I had to cut those ties, permanently."

"It was unfortunate that neither of you kids were in the house when the Kangs got there. And if you hadn't packed up and fled so soon, you would've been gone not long after."

"And you." Jiseok stopped pacing and stalked up to where Jake was seated, the latter staring up at the man he used to respect with nothing but contempt in his dark eyes. "Your move to Korea was rather sudden, was it not?"

Jake didn't dare respond either, his wide eyes narrowing.

"It was all my doing. Just a little bit of coaxing and a lot of threatening goes a long way to convince your innocent and naive parents."

"You bastard! You threatened my parents!?" Jake shot up and lunged at the man, the jangling chains pulling him back. He gnashed his teeth, furious that he couldn't lay a single hand on the man before him.