012

•—•—•

~~~

—Chapter 12—

•—•—•

She awoke the next day to an empty bed. The blankets were cold, meaning Jake had left quite a bit of time earlier. The events of the previous night came rushing back as she came to her senses, rubbing the sleep from her eyes and standing up from bed.

She hastily threw on some casual clothes consisting of a simple gray T-shirt tucked into black jeans and went to the bathroom to brush her teeth and hair, then making her way downstairs where she could already hear the others up and about.

Jiseon headed to the kitchen where five out of the seven other house occupants were stationed, all of them looking equally exhausted as she felt. Though the previous night had been fairly simple, the effects of the events had taken a toll on everyone. The boys were all just standing around, Sunoo and Jake being the ones missing from the bunch.

Five pairs of eyes turned to her as she entered the kitchen, her instantly feeling awkward as their gazes pierced into her.

"Ji." Heeseung was the first to speak, his voice still scratchy from sleep. "Are you...doing alright?"

Jiseon managed a weak smile of assurance and a nod. "Yeah, I'm okay. Sorry for acting like that last night. Are you guys, um, hungry? I know a bit about cooking..."

"Ji? Cooking? That's new." Jake's loud voice cut through the air, the perpetrator stretching his arms over his head as he walked in the room, a downcast Sunoo trailing closely behind. Jiseon gave him a threatening smile and he threw his hands up. "I'm kidding."

"You better be." She teased half-heartedly, popping her knuckles. "What are you guys up for?"

"Fried rice sounds good..." Ni-ki's deep voice piped up from across the room, said boy picking at his fingernails nervously.

"Fried rice it is then."

Jiseon went to work with some assistance from the boys in finding ingredients and utensils, throwing together the mixture based off of a recipe her mother had drilled into her at a young age. Jake made a offhanded comment about recognizing the process as he had been present many times when Jiseon's mother had made the same dish.

As soon as it was done cooking and she had begun to portion out the food, Jiseon's cell phone rang, disturbing the now more positive atmosphere that had arisen in the kitchen. She pulled out her phone from her back pocket and glanced briefly at the caller ID, immediately excusing herself and slipping out of the room.