Chapter 34

Charles's POV

I left the media pent quite frustrated. When I walked inside, I knew that I would be bombarded by questions about Christina, and in comparison with the questions about my DNF, I felt like I wanted to punch everyone on the face.

I walked in the Ferrari motorhome, the anger and displease evident on my face as I passed the Ferrari crew. 

"Charles," I heard Fred's voice. My team principal grabbed my arm and pulled to the side so we could talk. "You look quite angry," he exclaimed. 

"That's because I am," I stated, giving him a hard look. "First race and I DNFed. How am I supposed to feel?" 

"I know it's disappointing-" 

"No, don't give me that speech. I've heard it many times before. I don't want words anymore, I want to see results," I told him. If I needed words of comfort, I would have stayed with Mattia. He was pretty good at giving those. 

"Charles," he tried to stop me as I tried to leave. "What? What do you want, Fred?" 

"I wish you wouldn't go meet her," Fred told me, and I knew immediately that he was talking about Christina. I shook my head. 

"But Fred, how could I stay away?" 

"Charles, when she left-"

"I know. When she left, I felt like shit and didn’t the effort you needed me to put in the team. But she's the love of my life, Fred. When I'm with her, I'm the best part of myself. I know I have to stay focused on the championship, but I won't be able to do that if I won't fix things with her." 

Fred remained silent as he stared into my eyes. He nodded before he let me go, and I made my way to my driver's room where Christina was waiting for me. 

I took her hand and led her outside. The flashlights shone brightly as the paparazzi snapped pictures of us. I didn't stop to answer their questions nor interacted with the fans who waited around for the drivers.

I took her straight into the car. And we fought about a muffin. 

A fucking muffin. 

There were times that I acted so out of character and she knew how to put me in my place.

I chuckled as I saw her getting inside the car and eating the muffin in there, even though she knew how I felt about eating and drinking inside the car.

"Like that rule applied to you anyway" I sighed before I shook my head and entered the car as well.

I drove us to the hotel so we could get our things and go to the airport. The private jet was waiting for us there. I had planned for it to fly us back to Monaco immediately after the race and then return to get my family. 

When we were on board on the private jet I told the crew to leave us alone so we could talk. I wanted no distractions while she explained to me the situation.  Plus I didn't want anyone to hear accidentally.

Christina could sense how agitated I was. When I joined her, sitting by the seat opposite from her and she turned to look at me, I knew that she had me figured out. I knew that she understood why I felt like this and she was patient with me.

I hated her for it. I hated how we were both understood each other and were able to communicate during moments like this one.

I was so angry and hurt. I wanted to fight with her. I wanted to be able to get all these awful feelings that I've been carrying for so long.

But we wouldn't do that. For now at least.

I could see how guilty she was feeling. A part of me understood why she did what she did. But it wasn't the right solution.