Chapter 14

⚠️WARNING ⚠️ : This might be a disturbing chapter. There's mention of self-harm please read with caution.

August 16th, 2021, Rubiera, Italy

Christina couldn't stand on her feet, she felt dizzy and weak. Her vision was blurry and she could hear nothing more than then sound of her own shaky breath. She got a burning feeling on her chest, like her heart was about to break.

"No!" she screamed as she jumped off her bed. She immediately brought her hand to her chest like it would ease the pain.

She was out of breath and scarred. She could feel her tears staining her cheeks.

Christina looked around her room like she was searching for something. She was trying to reassure herself that she was now back to reality, to her room in her house in Rubiera.

The girl brought her legs close to her chest, wrapping her arms around herself as she tried to calm herself.

**

"It was a nightmare, it's over now" she whispered to herself. Her fingertips wrapped around her ankles, her nails pressing on her skin.

"It's over." She told herself as she pressed them harder, cutting herself in the process.

She knew that she shouldn't do it but it was her only way of bringing her mind back to reality. It was her way of reminding herself that was she was dreaming was over.

Shadow who had heard her screaming during her sleep, crawled closer to her. The dog whined as he used his muzzle to take her hands away from her ankles.

**

Christina looked at him and a small smile crept on her lips. She might have no one now but she still had Shadow. And he was the best dog she could ever have.

"Thank you, baby" she hugged him as they lied back down on the mattress.

Even though she tried, Christina couldn't fall back to sleep. And Shadow sensing her distress stayed awake as well.

So Christina decided to an early walk, once again. Along with Shadow she run around the two houses. It helped her clear her mind and Shadow got his chance to train.

"I thought we decided not to run so early" Charles was standing at the patio of his own house.

"You did, I never agreed" Christina replied giving Shadow some water. "What are you doing awake, Christina?"

"Couldn't sleep" the girl replied petting her dog who was now lying on the wooden floor of Charles's patio, giving the Monegasque the puppy eyes so he'd pet him

"Rare event"

Charles chuckled as he sat beside her on the stairs. "I was ready to start playing the piano but I noticed you weren't in your room. And then I heard you playing with Shadow"

"I'm sorry. I'm not in the right mind for our thing today" Christina apologized, a sigh escaping her lips.

"You don't have to apologize" Charles exclaimed, trying to meet her gaze, noticing that Christina was avoiding his.

During and after her nightmare Christina cried. Her eyes were probably puffy and there were dark circles under them. She didn't want Charles to notice because he'd ask questions.

"Come on, let's do something" Charles told her, nudging her side. He could sense that she was unwell.

Charles took her hand in his and pulled her inside his house. He led her to one of his rooms where he had the piano and a library.