2.8 - The party's over

Avery walked through the courtyard at school to grab a cup of coffee before her next call when her phone started ringing "Hello" she said "Avery its your grandmother

Avery walked through the courtyard at school to grab a cup of coffee before her next call when her phone started ringing "Hello" she said "Avery its your grandmother...And, your grandfather," The girl furrowed her brows when she heard both of them on the phone. They could barely stand to be in the same room together. "Hi" She said. "we're sorry to bother you at school, but next Friday your grandfather and I agreed to host a little Yale alumni event at our house. It completely slipped our minds the other night. So we'll have to cancel out Friday night dinner, " They told her.

Avery squinted her eyes as they spoke, she didn't like where this was going. "Oh. That's okay." She said "However we were wondering if you'd like to come," Emily said. Avery sighed. There it was. "I don't know. It's not really my thing," She told them "The alumni always like to meet the next generation of Elis, and plus, we'd love to be able to show you off to all of our friends, wouldn't we, Emily?" Richard says "Yes, we would"

"We've invited your sister as well. Please come! We'd hate to miss our weekly Avery fix. And I promise you, there won't be any chicken." Emily told her "Or steak on a stick" Richard continued. They both laughed and Avery grimaced slightly, she couldn't help but notice how rehearsed the whole thing sounded. "Uh I-" Avery sighed "I'd love to come,"

***

Friday night rolled around and Avery was currently in her room getting dressed. She had opted for a dark green satin dress and black heels, it was simple enough. When Avery heard a knock at the front door she opened it to reveal Rory. "Hey, let me grab my purse and then we can bolt." Avery told her. Rory nodded "You look nice," Avery gave her a tight smile "Thanks, so do you. Lets go" Rory sighed as Avery brushed past her and out the door.

Although the girls were on speaking terms and Avery acted civil toward Rory, the younger twin still hadn't forgiven Rory for what she said. Avery would always be Rory's sister and she would be there for her the way a sister would, the younger twin didn't see herself ever becoming Rory's friend again. At least not anytime in the near future.

***

When the twins arrived at their grandparents house, Emily had rushed them upstairs. Avery sat on a bed while Rory got her makeup done. Eventually their grandmother had come back into the room "Oh, you two look absolutely marvelous," The woman beamed. She gave Rory some jewelry and, much to Avery's amusement, a tiara. Emily then turned to Avery with a big smile on her face and handed her a simple but incredibly beautiful pearl necklace. Avery gawked at the necklace "I know you prefer simpler pieces. May I?" Avery nodded at her grandma and Emily put the necklace on her.

"It's beautiful grandma. Thank you," Avery smiled at her grandmother "Perfect and you're welcome. Are you girls ready?" Both girls nodded and they left the room with Emily. As they started their descent down the staircase Emily gestured to the twins "Everyone! Here's Rory and Avery," As the room filled oohs and aahs Avery's eyes widened "Oh my god"