3.3 - Twenty-one is the loneliest number

Avery frowned as she watched her mother stare blankly into her closet

Avery frowned as she watched her mother stare blankly into her closet. The girls we're currently supposed to be packing for a trip to Vegas to celebrate Avery's -and Rory's- 21st birthday, but neither of them seemed to be able to bring themselves to do it.

The youngest Gilmore simply didn't want to due to the fact that she was never involved in the plan to begin with. It's not that Lorelai and Rory excluded her from it, they tried really hard to get Avery to go along with it, but Avery wasn't into it.

She didn't want to go to Vegas and gamble or get the numbers of twenty one guys. She thought it was too much, so in the few years that Avery and Tristan were friends, they came up with their own plan. The two of them were gonna get drunk while having a Julia Roberts movie marathon. It was simple but it was more Avery.

Unfortunately, due to recent (and not so recent) events, those plans had been changed. Lorelai suggested that she and Avery should go to Vegas and celebrate without Rory. The youngest Gilmore wasn't super fond of the idea, she had no interest in being a replacement Rory for her mother, but she agreed nonetheless. However at this moment she could tell Lorelai was regretting the decision.

"We're not going" Avery said from the doorway of her mothers bedroom

Lorelai looked over at her daughter with a frown "Why not"

"Because you don't want to and frankly neither do I" The youngest stated

Lorelai shook her head "No. I want to go, I'm just thinking really hard about my wardrobe choices"

"Mom, I've been standing here for 5 minutes and you haven't moved once. Neither of us want to go, so there's no point in torturing ourselves and pretending everything is okay. Im not interested in being a replacement Rory and you shouldn't have to be a replacement Tristan"

Lorelai sighed as she listened to her daughter. Avery was right. "Uh, we were invited to Rory's part at your grandparents"

Avery narrowed her eyes, she had gotten the invitation and all it did was piss her off. Her grandmother had tendency to forget, or maybe she just didn't care, that Avery and Rory shared a birthday.

"I have plans" Avery ignored her mothers questioning look and went to her room to make a phone call.

***

There were countless thoughts swirling through Avery's head at the moment. She felt stupid and she was angry with herself for what she had just done. But, something inside her screaming at her to do it.

"Hey" Avery stiffened at the sound of the voice, and cleared her throat before shifting on the bar stool to face the person as they sat next to her.

"Happy birthday. Well, happy early birthday" Tristan said as he took a seat at the bar.

Avery was the one who called him, she was the one who suggested they meet up, but now that he was actually here and sitting next to her. She regretted everything.