2.4 - Raincoats and Recipes

Avery Gilmore had officially completed her first year at Yale University

Avery Gilmore had officially completed her first year at Yale University. She placed her last box in her car and turned to Rosemary with teary eyes. Rosemary however was already fully crying. When Avery closed her trunk and turned to her, the redhead immediately wrapped her arms around the girl "Ugh, this is stupid. I'm literally gonna see you in two weeks" Rosemary said as she pulled away from the hug and wiped her tears

"Two weeks suddenly feels like a very long time, though" Avery complained "14 days and I'll be in Stars Hollow," Rosemary reminded her, trying to get herself to stop crying. Lorelai had invited Rosemary to come stay with them in Stars Hollow for the summer, the woman was grateful for how incredible of a friend the red haired girl had been to Avery. Even though the two girls had only known each other for a short period of time, they had become practically inseparable. They had become sisters.

"Yeah, we can spend the summer annoying Luke with our coffee addiction," Avery said with a small laugh "Call me everyday," Rosemary said. Avery nodded and gave the girl one last hug before getting in her car and starting her drive to Stars Hollow.

***

Avery groaned as she woke up to the sound of pots and pans in the kitchen. She angrily got out of bed and slowly left her room. When she reached the top of the stairs she ran into her mom, who looked at her confused "You're not the one making all the noise in the kitchen?"

"Obviously not," The girl grumbled, making her way down the stairs. When Avery and Lorelai reached the kitchen they saw Rory in there draining a pot of noodles. "Oh, hi" Rory said, turning to glance at her mom and sister "I'm still on my finals sleep schedule, and, man, am I wired. What time is it? Like, 3:00 in the morning? I cannot tell anymore. Want some mac and cheese? I love mac and cheese when I can't sleep." The older twin rambled on as she checked the refrigerator.

Lorelai rubs her eyes tiredly as Avery continues to stand in the archway of the kitchen staring at her sister with a very tired and very annoyed expression. "Cool. Individual cheese slices. So, I've been making out my résumé so I can try to get a summer job, because there is no way that I am going to swipe cafeteria cards again next year." Rory continues, making Avery groan

Suddenly a buzzer goes off "My whites are done," Rory moves over into the living room while Lorelai rests her head on the kitchen table and Avery hits her head on the wall. "Do you know that the best time to do your laundry at Yale is in the middle of the night? You have your pick of washers, the place has just been swept, and the trash is completely empty. So, what do you think?" Rory asks, carrying her laundry basket into her room.

"The Stars Hollow Gazette needs a fact checker, but Rob's Tire is offering way more money. I know that now is the time to suffer for my art, but I was so brok-'' Rory's words are cut off as Avery tiredly shuffles over to her sister's bedroom and shuts it, putting a chair under the doorknob so she can't open it. "Hey," Rory says, rattling the doorknob. Avery and Lorelai just walk back upstairs and go back to sleep.