16. Friends

Monday, October 26

3:58 PM

The hallways were cold and empty as I waited outside of Cillian's office, eager for him to open the door after I had knocked on it.

The morning was a blur. I couldn't focus on anything, the events from Friday still lingered in my head; his hands on my body, his head between my legs - it all was still fresh, it was all I could think about. Even when I was with Jude on Saturday the only thing that I could think of was Cillian.

My thoughts were interrupted once the door quietly opened, quickly shutting behind me as I swiftly walked in. I made my way over to the chair I usually sat at, dropping my backpack at the front of the door. Cillian sat across from me, his glasses sitting on the bridge of his nose as he went back to work. He was completely ignoring me.

"Cillian," I said, quickly noticing the way his eyes darted from the work and to my eyes.

He cut me off. "It's Mr Murphy," he said, returning to his work. I noticed the way his jaw shifted as he continued to work.

"My Murphy," I started again, leaning forward, my eyes raking over the work he was doing. "Is there any reason you've been ignoring me all today?" I asked, my eyes attempting to find his, but they only remained on the paper in front of him.

"Who's that boy you were with?" was all that he said, but he didn't care to stop his work.

Then I remembered; Saturday. When I had seen Cillian on Saturday I was with Jude, sitting alone together, talking to him. I didn't even bother to talk to Cillian, I didn't make an effort. He was always so against us being alone in public, wanting to hide everything. Why would I approach him? Especially in front of Jude. Especially when I thought he didn't even notice that I was there.

"My friend," I said, sitting back. "That's all." I shrugged, my hands falling into my lap.

"That's all?" he asked, finally dropping his pen and leaning back in his chair, his arms crossing against his chest. "It doesn't seem like that."

I know that he was supposed to seem angry, intimidating almost, but I couldn't help but stare at him. I noticed the muscles in his forearms as his sleeves rolled up, the dress shirt hugging his chest, though it hung loosely around the collar.

"We're nothing more than friends," I said, shaking my head. "I wouldn't lie to you."

Cillian raised his eyebrows slightly, his eyes staring into mine. It felt like he could see right through me, analyzing my every thought, knowing exactly what I was going to say.

"You knew I was going to be there," he mentioned, giving a slow nod. "You didn't even acknowledge me, though."

One of his hands slowly moved from his chest, carefully holding the bottom of his chin as he looked at me, his eyes never leaving mine. Even if I wanted to look away, it felt like I couldn't. I felt paralyzed.

"I thought that you wouldn't want me to." I confessed, his facial expression seeming to never change. I was always left with a blank stare, unable to recognize his emotions through his face.

He lifted his hand that once held his chin, gesturing for me to come over. "Come here."

I hesitated, but slowly stood up. My legs felt like jello once I had stood up, not realizing how nervous I was until I found myself walking towards him, now standing behind his desk beside him. He turned to me, looking up at me yet I couldn't find the courage to look down at him yet.