8. Déjà vu

Wednesday, September 14

7:36 PM

"Thank you for helping," Sam said to me as she finished making the last table among several other's scattered throughout the banquet hall, "Usually no one ever helps with these things."

I smiled and nodded, "No problem." I said, looking around the room, admiring the work her and I had done for the past hour, ensuring that it was up to expectations Mrs. Caldwell, the director, had set in place.

Sam was a part of one of the many clubs at school, specifically student council. They often put together events or help set up events, some of which accumulated money for fundraisers in order to get beneficial things for the school like new library books, computers, etc. Tonight was a meeting among most teachers where students could specifically come, even parents, to ask questions; basically just to help with future course selection. It reminded me of the parent-teacher interviews I used to have in elementary school but this seemed much more sophisticated and complex; certain attire was required and it was held in the banquet hall, usually used specifically for events like this. Sam explained how this happened once per semester, but usually the first semester one was significantly busier. I only accepted her offer to help once I found out that teachers would be there.

I sighed to myself, sitting down in one of the empty chairs. "Are you going to stay?" I asked Sam, she was busy correcting some of the table cloths and center pieces, always fixing and tweaking small things that caught her eye.

"I didn't get dressed up for nothing," she said, gesturing to the casual dress she had thrown on, "I don't think that you did either." referring to the fact that I had also put on a dress. It was basically required to get dressed up, it wasn't like I was going to go against school protocol.

I eyed the door where people would be arriving, waiting for the minute I saw him walk in. After the events on Monday, I couldn't seem to stop thinking about him. It was completely out of the blue, especially after he practically ignored me. Most of class yesterday was spent with us making glances at each other any chances we could, or him subtly sitting beside me and 'helping' me with any work, though I knew it was an excuse for him to just get close to me. Of course I wasn't complaining, but I knew that Miss Elles wasn't pleased with the way he kept getting up to help me as my hand seemed to always raise when they were talking. I hated that I liked doing it on purpose.

In only minutes, teachers slowly started making their way inside the banquet hall. Sam and I stood by the doors, greeting them and smiling or helping any lost students find their way to free tables or empty seats.

I felt a gentle tap on my shoulder. I quickly turned around, being met with Jude.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, smiling. He smiled in return.

"I'm a student, am I not?" he asked, tilting his head to the side before looking over at Sam and smiling, too. Giving her a small wave before looking back at me. "Wanna escort me to a seat?"

I rolled my eyes. "Do I have to?" I asked, not wanting to miss Mr. Murphy coming in, but also it was kind of apart of my job.

"Yes, you have to." Sam cut in, teasing me slightly as I sighed, gently pushing my shoulder past Jude's.

"Follow me," I said, slowly walking through the banquet hall, weaving through the crowds of people talking with teachers or just wandering, before planting Jude at a small table in the back.