12. Distance

October 23

3:58 PM

"I want you to come with me." Mr. Murphy said, leaning against the trunk of his car as he lit a cigarette.

September was a blur. After the incident where he found out that people were onto us, he suggested that we distanced ourselves from each other, yet here I was standing in the parking lot of the school, where he was insisting on taking me somewhere tonight. We had to resort to cautious glances in class or subtle touches when he came to check on my work, but alone time was never an option. We had to be careful, we were sneaking around; I didn't like it, but it was the only way we could 'be together' without being together. Miss Elles seemed to be lingering problem,

"What do you say?" he asked, drawing the cigarette away from his mouth before inhaling. "You know that I'd love you for you to come."

I shrugged, unsure of what to say. Obviously I wanted to go, but everything was telling me not go with him.

"Come on, Jeane," he insisted, giving me a gentle smile which almost immediately convinced me to go with him. "I miss being alone with you."

I gave in right then and there.

"Okay," I agreed shyly, nodding my head, my gaze meeting his.

"Good girl." he said, blowing smoke to the side before tossing his cigarette on the ground and pulling me into a hug, though I thought I was going to collapse.

He held me there for a second. His arms wrapped around my body, tightly squeezing it, though his one hand held the back of my head. I rested on his shoulder, taking in his scent; cigarettes and the cologne he always seem to wear. I didn't want to let go, this was the closest we had been for what had felt like forever.

"Meet me here at 8:00," he whispered, releasing his grip on me and looking down at me. "Don't be late."

"I'll be here, I promise." I smiled, biting my lip as I turned away, walking away from him. I could already feel the butterflies in my stomach, the way I was already blushing even when I wasn't even looking at him. If only he knew what he did to me - though I am pretty sure he's aware.

October 2

7:38 PM

"Are you going somewhere special or something?" Sam asked, looking at me from across the room, putting down her pencil that was working away at some of her schoolwork.

"Why do you ask?" I questioned while staring at myself in the mirror, trying to see what dress I looked better in.

"You haven't got this dressed up since the banquet." she said, giving me a confused look. Even on nights when her and I toured the night, walking into random restaurants, I never dressed up. It wasn't something that I was very familiar with, but there was definitely a part of me that wanted to look good for him.

"I'm just going somewhere." I shrugged, turning to Sam to see what she thought of the dress I had thrown on. "What do you think?"

"It's short," she started, giving me a playful smile, "But I definitely think you should wear it to your mystery outing." she teased, turning back to finish her work, probably something that I should've been doing too.