26. Night

November 3

9:34 PM

Despite the feeling of Cillian kissing against my neck, the feeling of guilt and discomfort pooled in my stomach rather than the lust that he must've been feeling. The concept that he could potentially be seeing another woman made my stomach churn, especially because of the lack of answers he had given me; always ignoring my questions, dismissing them, and making me feel as if though they were almost stupid. I didn't know who Alison was, and I was unsure of if I even wanted to know who she was. I just hope that it's not who I think it is.

I shook my head, leaning back slightly, causing him to be obviously taken aback from my sudden gesture. An instant feeling of regret shot through my body, but I knew that he wouldn't be upset, he wasn't like that.

"What?" Cillian asked through a whisper, staring up at me. His hands remained on my thighs, his eyebrows knitting together in confusion. We would always do things like this, the fact that I wasn't into it confused him.

"I don't want to right now," I said shaking my head again, slowly crawling out of his lap, his hands trailing down my legs as I pulled away from him. "It's just that I have school tomorrow, and that it's getting late."

He stared at me for a second, blinking before adjusting his glasses and resting his hands on his thighs.

"I understand," he nodded, standing up off of the couch and turning off the television, the room now being lit by a singular glowing lamp. "I can drive you back now if that's what you want."

I stared up at him as he walked away from the couch, walking into the kitchen where his keys were sitting on the kitchen table. Another shot of regret began flowing through my body, feeling as if he though he was somehow mad even if he didn't do a single thing to show that.

Stop overthinking, I thought.

"No, it's okay," I protested, sitting up on the couch and peeking over the back of it, noticing that he had never taken his eyes off of me despite leaving the room. "I think that I should just stay the night, if that's okay with you."

Cillian leaned against the counter, running a hand through his messy hair before looking back at me. I must've been insane for suggesting something like this, especially on a school night. I didn't know how he'd respond, especially because of the way I had just been acting toward him.

"You're okay with getting a drive to school from me tomorrow?" he asked with a slight tilt of his head, his eyes squinting, recognizing how absurd my question was. He knew how paranoid and cautious I was, so this was something completely unexpected.

"Yeah, it's fine," I nodded, biting my lip slightly when I really thought of what this meant. "You've picked me up before and after school, it's nothing new."

He sighed to himself quietly, looking down at the counter before at me. "I can do that for you."

I smiled slowly bringing myself to my feet, glancing around the living room. I flattened out my skirt, making my way into the kitchen where Cillian was, joining him at the counter. I looked up at him, noticing the way his attitude had shifted suddenly.

As silence lingered in the kitchen, neither of us talking, I carefully pulled myself onto the counter, sitting on it while my legs dangled off the edge, finally catching his attention.

"Is something wrong?" I asked him, gently nudging the side of his leg with my foot, causing him to look over at me.

"Nothing's wrong," he said, his voice low as he shook his head. "I just thought that I might've upset you."