T W E N T Y

Friday November 25, 2022 2:15AM

I woke up alone in bed to the sound of an alarm. I groan looking around for my phone in my bed but can't find it. I lift my head to see it's charging on my nightstand. I didn't put it to charge, and I didn't put the alarm either, Mason is so sweet.

I'm killing time on my phone until 2:45 so I can start heading out when the adjoining door swings open, I think I need to start locking that. I look over to see João coming in, what does he want.

I yawn, "what are you doing here ?" I ask.

"I'm driving you to get your friend," he says in a duh tone. "Or would you like Mount to take you ? Or Pedri ?"

"I asked Días for the keys," I say putting my shoes on, "not a chauffeur, leave the keys, you can go."

"I'm sorry," he says "I didn't mean that."

"I'm serious João, I don't want to go with you" I groan.

"Yeah, well everyone else is asleep and your dad doesn't want you going alone," he says.

"What my dad doesn't know won't hurt him," I say holding my hand out expecting the keys. Instead, he places his hand on mine. I immediately drop it.

"Oh c'mon," he groaned "I said I was sorry. I actually wanted to speak to you."

"I don't want to speak to you," I say annoyed, "so if you have to come with me, make it quietly."

We walked to the car in a tense silence. I refused to speak to him and I wasn't interested in anything he had to say. Lies, I wanted nothing more than for everything to be normal between us, but I was hurt, and I didn't want to be hurt any more.

"You okay ?" He asks as we arrive at the car. I ignore him.

"Why are you mad ? Are you mad at me ?" I again ignore his questions.

"Your friend hates me," he says as we get into the car.

"Hm," I hum looking for my AirPods in my bag, "I know."

"What'd I do to him ?" He asks.

"I'm confused," I stop shuffling through my bag and look at him, "I said I wanted quiet, why are you still talking ?" I continue looking for my AirPods.

He sighs "it's what he said right ? That's what's got you upset ? He regrets it," he says "just so you know."

"Why are you trying to defend him if you know he doesn't like you ?" I ask.

"He may not like me but I know he likes you, and he means a lot to you," he shrugs. "And although he's upset you, he didn't mean it, he said he didn't have a problem with you, he didn't say it directly but I know the problem was with me."

"I know," I sigh. "Kai is an idiot, he didn't think before speaking, or maybe he did and thought his words wouldn't affect me. I'm mad at him tonight, but he'll apologize later and we'll be back to normal."

"So you know he was trying to get to me and not you ?" He asks and I nod. "You knew he didn't like me ?" I nod again.
"And you didn't give me a heads up, or shut it down earlier ?" He asks in a hurt tone, why is he hurt ?

"Kai had his reasons," I shrug.

"What," he begins but I cut him off after I found my AirPods, "I'm done with this conversation, my AirPods are going in," I say slipping both my AirPods on and blasting music for the remainder of the drive.

We arrive at the airport finally and I rush out knowing we're a bit late and she might be waiting for us already. I pull my phone to text her and she tells me she's on her way out from baggage claims. A couple minutes later, I spot her in the crowd and I can tell she spots me too because seconds later she's charging at me like a bull, abandoning her bags a few feet from me and throwing herself onto me, tackling me to the ground.