E I G H T E E N

Thursday, November 24, 2022 8:37AM

I woke up a few minutes ago, but I don't dare move, I'm trapped in João's grasp and I don't want to wake him. He had a rough night and I want him to get as much sleep as he possibly can, today is a big day. I reach the nightstand for my phone to check the score from the Canada game, and Cris was right, Canada failed to score against Belgium and they lost 1-0.

I absentmindedly scroll through social media as I wait for João to wake up. I text a few of my friends letting them know what's going on today and they all wish me luck. Today is not only a big day for Portugal, but for me as well, I'm meant to go out there with them and sing the Portuguese national anthem. I'm nervous, because although I'm no stranger to preforming, singing the national anthem is completely different than singing one of my songs onstage, nevertheless, it's exciting. I go on twitter and quickly tweet out "Today's the day 🇵🇹❤️."

I feel João's grip tighten on me and shut my phone off knowing he's awake. "Good morning," I smile at him rolling over to face him, "how'd you sleep ?"

"Good," he smiles, "I feel good, I feel ready, thank you," he says kissing my cheek.

"Let's get ready then," I tell him as he releases his grasp and I roll out of bed. "Oh I need one of your jerseys."

"What ?" He asks sitting up.

"I told you I'd wear your jersey but I don't have one, so I  need one," I explain.

"You weren't joking ?" He asks getting out of bed himself.

"No, I'm a woman of my word," I say walking into the bathroom, "plus, we even pinkie promised," I remind him.

"You're gonna wear it the whole day ?" I hear his voice once again a few minutes later.

"Yeah," I say walking out with my hair done and some shorts on. "I think yours is the only match I care about today," I say taking the jersey from him and walking back to change. "Wait, no, I think Brazil plays today too," I remember "after you, so I'll wear probably wear a Paqueta jersey."

"Prettiest girl around wearing MY jersey," he says emphasizing 'my' as I step out again, "I already feel like a winner," he says hooking his index finger in one of my belt loops and pulling me closer.

"Well after tonight you will be a winner," I say smooshing his cheeks. He laughed throwing his head back as to get me to release him so I did.

"Oh you have no idea," he says holding my face and kissing my lips.

"I love the confidence," I say pecking his lips again and releasing myself from his grasp to finish getting ready.

"Yeah ?" He asks "I met a girl recently, she's bringing out so much confidence in me."

"She sounds great, what's her name ?" I ask. "I must thank her, the confidence is hot," I say tying my shoes.

"Sofia Matilde dos Santos Aveiro," he says with a hint of uncertainty in his voice, "you'll love her," he says pulling me into him again.

"Say it with confidence João," I groan looking up at him.

"I didn't know if the Aveiro part was accurate or if you had your bio mom's last name," he said pecking my lips.