T H I R T E E N

A few hours later, I woke up to an empty bed and a knock on the door. I walk over to the door and open it.

"Hola, querida," (hello, love), Gio said, "did you get my text ?"

"Umm no, I just woke up from a nap," I say moving over and opening the door more so she could come in.

"Your father said you're going out tonight, need any help getting ready ?" She said walking in.

"Yes, please, girl time is overdue," I smile at her glancing over at the bed which was once occupied by João and I, but was now empty.

"You okay ?" She asks.

"Yeah, yeah, still waking up," I smile at her.

The side door opens and in comes the boy I've been looking for since I woke up. "Oh good, you're awake, I didn't want to be the one to wake you," he said, "hi Gio."

"Hi João," she smiles at him.

"When'd you wake up ?" I ask him.

"A couple minutes ago, I didn't want to wake you since we're not heading out soon," he said. "I went looking for something to wear. I don't know what to wear, though, do you wanna match ?"

"Yeah, let me get ready and I'll help you pick something out in a bit," I say and he nods saying goodbye to Gio and walking back to his room.

"What's going on there ?" She asks.

"A lot," I sigh, " I like him," I smile falling back onto the bed.

"I can see that," she says, "why do I sense a but ?"

"Because I'm scared," I groan sitting up on the bed.

"Of what ?" He's a good kid," she defends him.

"So was Hayes," I sigh.

"No, don't start comparing the two," she says. "João isn't Hayes."

"I know that," I groan.

"But ?"

"They're both men." I scoff.

"Your dad is a man," she points out.

"True," I make a face, "he's one of the good ones though."

"What makes you think João isn't ?"

"Nothing," I huff, "I don't really have a leg to stand on."

"I want to see you in a happy and healthy relationship," she says, "I was close to your age when I started dating your father, look at us now."

"Okay so you're saying wait a year or two and then I'll meet the love of my life who is almost a decade older than me ?" I ask wiggling my eyebrows.

"Sofia," she says with a warning tone.

"Did you just mom voice me ?" I ask.

"Yes, I'm still your mom," she says and I laugh.

"I know, I'm joking, I definitely am giving João a chance, just," I pause, "cautiously."

"You're scared, I get it," she says, "but I don't think he'd hurt you."

"Why because of my dad ?" I ask, "I want him to worship the ground I walk on because he's in love with me, not be afraid to screw up because of my dad," I huff, "that's not love."

"Then open your eyes Sofi," she told me, "this boy has been following you around like a lost puppy the second he laid eyes on you," she gives me a looks, "way before he even knew who your father was. I know you're scared, I understand that, but he's not Hayes baby."