15

It was a couple of days later and you were finally being discharged.

You swung your legs to the side of the bed. You had a boot on your injured foot and everything still ached. You were told your rib fractures would take a while to heal but you didn't expect it to take this long.

Your ankle doesn't really hurt but walking with the boot is a struggle because of the weight difference.

You used the bed to support yourself as you stood up. Emily helped you pack all your things up. All your bags were stacked on the chair.

Derek walked thru the doorway with a smile. "Hey! Are you excited?" He asked.

You gave him a thin lipped smile. "Yeah." You started walking over to him.

His smile faded and he simply broke eye contact and reached for your bags. "Y'know, I think it would be nice if you stayed with Rossi."

You froze. "You know I can't do that, Derek." You said while looking at him.

He made eye contact. "I know, but you're both grieving and mayb-"

You put your hand up, motioning for him to stop. "Please." You put your hand down. "Please stop." You said softly.

He simply nodded. "Sorry." He looked away. He took all your bags and you followed him to the elevator.

The doors closed and there was a few moments of silence. "Have you seen her?" He asked.

You felt his eyes on you. "No, not since a couple of nights ago." You continued staring straight. "I don't think she came back to the hospital after that night."

You saw him nod his head out of the corner of your eye. "I, uh, I think that was her way of saying goodbye to me." You struggled to get out.

You felt his eyes on you again.

"Oh." He said.

You closed your eyes and quietly took a deep breath. He didn't really have an answer to that but you knew he thought the same thing, that's why he didn't interject.

"Yeah." You spit out.

The elevator doors opened and you walked out with Derek following behind. You signed all the paperwork that you had to sign to be discharged and walked out the door. Derek was in front of you, it was hard for you to walk at a normal speed.

You stopped for a second and turned around to face the hospital. You just stared at it for a minute before you felt a hand on your shoulder. "Hey." Derek said. "You alright?"

"Y-Yeah." You looked over at him. "Yeah." You gave him a soft smile.

He gave you a look of sympathy. "Come on. Let's go."

You nodded and followed him to his car. He loaded all your bags into his car and you climbed into the passenger seat. He got into the drivers seat. You were staring straight into the distance. You felt so drained and empty. You didn't know what to do. You had no job, every place you used to call home is now ruined with horrible memories, Penelope wants nothing to do with you and the only person who was there for you no matter what is gone. You felt so lonely and hopeless.

"You alright?" He asked.

You looked over at him. "Yeah." You spit out, lying to his face.

He furrowed his brows. "Are you sure? You seem-"

"Yes." You cut him off. "Please just drive." You said, softly.

He just looked at you before nodding and putting the car into drive. You continued staring off.