048. pregnancy

Miranda just reached the fourth month of her pregnancy, luckily not getting much morning sickness anymore. Sam's glad both because he hates to see her throwing up and the insults thrown at him have died down.

"Sammy." Miranda calls.

"Hmm?" He turns to her, the woman sitting in bed.

"I wish you were the pregnant one. This shit is stupid." Miranda says. Sam laughs.

"Well, you know why I'm not the pregnant one?" Sam questions.

"Cause God likes guys more than girls." Miranda says.

"Because I'd be doing a lot worse than you." Sam says. "You are definitely the strong one in this situation. Not to mention when you're gonna have to push the little one out."

"Ugh. Don't remind me." Miranda whines, Sam sympathetically smiling at her. "Just a fair warning, you will probably be getting cussed out a lot that day."

"I know." Sam chuckles. "You need anything?"

"Cuddles." Miranda says. Sam smiles and gets on the bed, the woman immediately curling into his side.

+++

Miranda lays down as the nurse rubs the gel over her lower stomach. Sam stands next to her and plays with her fingers while waiting for the ultrasound to start.

"Okay, here we go." The nurse rubs the wand over Miranda's stomach, the two expecting parents looking over at the screen. "And there's your baby." She points, Miranda softly smiling at the screen.

"Wow." Sam mumbles. Even though it's not the first ultrasound, he still can't help but be amazed each time.

The nurse proceeds to do everything else, Miranda letting Sam gently wipe the gel off her stomach.

"Do we wanna know the gender or wait for birth?" The nurse questions, holding a clipboard.

"Uh..." Miranda looks at Sam who nods, the two having discussed it earlier. "We wanna know now."

"Okay." The nurse looks at the file. "Congratulations. You're having a girl." She smiles at them.

"A-- a girl?" Miranda asks.

"Mm-hmm." The nurse smiles.

Miranda lets out a small laugh before looking up at Sam who is smiling.

"A girl." He lets out a quiet laugh. He grins at Miranda, leaning down and kissing her.

+++

Sam huffs as Miranda tosses and turns for the millionth time.

"Randi." He mutters, the woman either not hearing him or ignoring him. "Randi!" He calls louder.

"What?" She grumbles.

"I can't sleep, you're moving too much." Sam mutters.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Is my five month pregnant ass a bother to you?" Miranda snaps.

"...No." Sam nervously mumbles. Miranda rolls her eyes.

"Go to sleep." Miranda tells him.

"I can't. That's kinda the issue here." Sam says. Miranda reaches back and smacks him in the chest, Sam letting out a small grunt. He winces, rubbing his chest. "What's wrong?"

"Aside from you? My boobs hurt." She whines.

"Haven't they been tender for months?" Sam asks.

"Yeah, but it's annoying." She sniffles. "And-- and my back is starting to hurt and-- and I just feel like crying and I'm--"

"Okay, okay, hey, hey, you're all right. Come here." Sam pulls her into a hug. He strokes her hair and rubs her back as she cries into his shoulder. "I got you."

"Pregnancy isn't as fun as some people make it out to be." Miranda mutters.

"I know, I know." Sam coos. "Does anything else hurt?"

"No." Miranda sniffles, pulling out of the hug and wiping her face. "Just my stupid boobs that keep getting bigger and more annoying."

"Want a massage?" Sam asks, it being the only thing he can think that would help her.

"You're not gonna get horny on me, are you? Cause if so, you're gonna have to help yourself out. I'm tired and not in the mood." Miranda says.

"I just wanna help you." Sam says, tucking some hair behind her ear. "So?"

"Sure." She mumbles.

"Okay. Come here." Sam softly says, sitting up against the headboard. Miranda moves so she's lying between his legs and she rests her back against him, her head resting just below his chin. Sam rests his chin on top of her head and starts to softly massages her breasts.

Miranda lets out a deep sigh, melting into his hold.

"Better?" Sam asks after a little while.

"Mm-hmm." Miranda hums, her eyes shut as she slowly falls asleep. Sam kisses her on the head.

+++

Miranda wakes up with a small grunt when she feels something. It happens again and she lets out a quiet groan, waking Sam up.

"Randi?" He groggily calls. 

"Ye-- mm." She moans.

"What? What's going on?" Sam turns the lamp on. "What's going on? You okay? Is-- is it the baby?"

"Yeah. Yeah, it's the baby." Miranda tries to focus on her breathing.

"What? Is she okay? What's wr-- what's happening?" Sam starts to panic.

"No, no, no. No. It-- sorry. It-- the baby's kicking." Miranda says.

"Kicking?" Sam asks. "That-- that's it?"

"Yeah." Miranda nods.

Sam deeply exhales, feeling the panic subdue.

"C'mere. Gimme your hand." Miranda reaches for his hand. She puts his hand over her stomach where the baby was kicking.

After a few moments, Sam feels the baby kick.

"Whoa." He mutters, taking his hand back. Miranda giggles, placing her hand over her stomach, soon feeling the kick.

"That-- that's, like, really freaky but also really cool." Sam comments making Miranda laugh.

"Wanna feel her again?" Miranda asks.

"Yeah." Sam nods, letting Miranda guide his hand onto her stomach. The two feel another kick after a few minutes. "Holy, shit. This... this is..."

"Cool? Terrifying? Weird?" Miranda asks.

"Kinda all of the above." Sam says, the two quietly giggling. "Hey, baby girl." He softly says, rubbing Miranda's stomach. "How you doing in there?" There's another kick a few seconds later making the two softly laugh.