027. hospital stays

Sam quickly makes his way to the room that the doctor said Miranda is in. He rushes in, the woman sitting up in bed.

"Randi." He sighs in relief, beelining to her.

"Hey." Miranda lets out a relieved sigh.

"Are you okay?" Sam asks, sitting on the bed and cupping her face. "Are you all right? Are-- are--"

"I'm okay. I'm okay." Miranda assures. Sam frowns, noticing the cast on her arm.

"Your arm's broken." He pouts.

"It's fine. I've had one before, the cast will be off in, like, a couple weeks. I'm okay." Miranda says.

"What about your head?" Sam asks, feeling her head for blood or bumps.

"I'm okay. It-- mild concussion, nothing I can't handle. Honestly, you look worse than me." She tries to joke, Sam's lips barely twitching up. "How are your dad and Dean?"

"Dad's pretty okay, I think. He's still asleep. Dean..." Sam trails off, wincing. "Dean isn't doing very well. I don't-- I'm not positive about what's wrong, but he's unconscious."

Miranda gives him a sympathetic smile. She gently kisses him, brushing some of his hair back.

"You okay? You know, personally? Physically?" Miranda asks.

"Yeah. Yeah, no, the-- the only injuries are really just these." Sam motions to his face.

"Good." Miranda smiles.

+++

The two walk into Dean's room, the man hooked up to tubes.

"Oh, no." Sam whispers. Miranda holds his hand,

"Your father's awake." The doctor walks in. "You can go see him if you like."

"Doc, what about my brother?" Sam asks.

"Well, he sustained serious injury. Blood loss, contusions to his liver and kidney. But it's the head trauma I'm worried about. There's early signs of cerebral edema." The doctor says.

"Well, what can we do?" Sam asks.

"Well, we won't know his full condition until he wakes up. If he wakes up."

"If?"

"I have to be honest, most people with this degree of injury wouldn't have survived this long. He's fighting very hard. But you need to have realistic expectations."

~ ~ ~

"Here. Give them my insurance." John gives Sam the card.

"Elroy McGillicutty?" Sam asks.

"And his two loving sons. So, what else did the doctor say about Dean?" John asks.

"Nothing." Sam says. "Look... the doctors won't do anything, then we'll have to, that's all. I don't know, I'll find some hoodoo priest and lay some mojo on him."

"We'll look for someone."

"Yeah."

"But, Sam, I don't know if we're gonna find anyone."

"Why not? I found that faith healer before."

"All right, that was-- that was one in a million."

"So what? Do we just sit here with our thumbs up our ass?"

"No, I said we'd look. All right? I'll check under every stone." John says. "Where's the colt?"

"Your son is dying and you're worried about the colt?" Sam questions.