043. missing

Dean pulls up to a diner and puts the car in park.

"Hey, don't forget the extra onions this time, huh?" Dean says, giving Sam money.

"Don't  you dare get him extra onions." Miranda orders.

"Dude, we're the ones who are gonna have to ride in the car with your extra onions." Sam says. Dean grins and Sam gets out of the car.

"Hey, hey. Milkshake, fries, and chicken strips." Miranda tells him.

"I know." Sam says.

"Hey, see if they've got any pie." Dean says. Sam shuts the door while glaring at him. "Bring me some pie!" He shouts. "I love me some pie." He turns the radio up a bit as Sam goes inside.

The radio suddenly turns to static. Dean messes with it, but that doesn't fix the issue. Dean looks up, seeing the diner empty.

The two quickly go inside the cafe, keeping their guns at the ready. They find everybody dead and no sign of Sam.

"Sam?" Miranda calls. "Sammy!" She hisses.

"Sam?" Dean calls.

They look around inside and outside the building.

"Miranda." Dean calls, the woman rushing over to him.

"What?" She asks before looking at his fingers and seeing sulfur on them. Miranda falters, her heart dropping.

+++

"This is it. All demonic signs and omens over the past month." Bobby says, laying the map across the car.

"Are you joking? There's nothing here." Dean says.

"Exactly." Bobby says.

"Well, come on, there's gotta be something. What about the-the-the normal, low level stuff? You know, exorcisms, that kind of thing." Dean says.

"That's what I'm telling you -- there's nothing. It's completely quiet." Bobby says.

"Well, are we supposed to look for Sam? What, do we just close our eyes and point?" Dean asks. His phone rings. "Ash, what do you got?"

"Okay, listen, it's a big negatory on Sam--"

"Oh, come on, man! You've gotta give us something. We're looking at a three thousand mile haystack there."

"Listen, Dean. I did find something."

"Well, what?"

"I can't talk over this line, Dean."

"Come on, I don't have time for this!"

"Make time, okay? Because this-- what's up? What's going on?" Ash asks a passing guy. "Not only does this almost definitely help you find your brother, this... ah, it's huge. So get here. Now." He hangs up.

"I guess we're going to the roadhouse. Come on." Dean says.

+++

They pull up to the roadhouse, eyes widening at the burnt remains of the building.

"Oh, my God." Bobby whispers as they get out and look around.

"You see Ellen?" Dean asks.

"No. No Ash, either." Bobby says.

Dean bends down and picks a burnt arm up. He recognizes Ash' watch.

"Oh, Ash, damn it!" Dean grumbles.

~ ~ ~

"This is..." Bobby trails off.

"What the hell did Ash know? We've got no way of knowing where Ellen is. Or if she's even alive. We've got no clue what Ash was gonna tell us. Now, how the hell are we gonna find Sam?"