034. demon virus

"There are only two towns in the US named Rivergrove." Sam says.

"How come you're so sure it's the one in Oregon?" Dean asks.

"There was a picture. Crater Lake." Sam says.

"Okay, what else?" Dean asks.

"I saw a dark room, some people, and a guy tied to a chair."

"And I ventilated him?"

"Yeah. You thought there was something inside him."

"What, a demon? Was he possessed?"

"I don't know."

"Well, all your weirdo visions are always tied to the Yellow Eyed Demon somehow... so was there any black smoke? Did we try to exorcise it?"

"No. Nothing, you just plugged him, that's it."

"Well, I'm sure I had a good reason."

"Mm-hmm." Miranda hums.

"I sure hope so." Sam says.

"What does that mean?" Dean asks, glancing between the two. "I mean, I'm not gonna waste an innocent man." The two give him looks. "I wouldn't!"

"I never said you would!"

"Fine!"

"Fine! Look, we don't know what it is. But whatever it is, that guy in the chair's a part of it. So let's find him and see what's what.'

"Fine."

"Fine."

+++

They just talked to a guy, asking about where the guy in Sam's dream lives and are now going to the house.

Sam stops at a telephone pole.

"Hey." Sam calls, the other two walking over to him.

"Croatoan?" Dean asks.

"Yeah." Sam nods, Dean not understanding the meaning. "Roanoke? Lost colony? Ring a bell? Dean, did you pay any attention in history class?"

"Yeah. Shots heard 'round the world, how bills becomes laws." Dean says.

"That's not school, that's Schoolhouse Rock." Sam says.

"Whatever." Dean says.

"Roanoke was one of the first English colonies in America, late 1500s." Sam informs.

"Oh, yeah, yeah, I do remember that. The only thing they left behind was a single word carved in a tree. Croatoan." Dean says.

"Yeah. And I mean, there were theories — Indian raid, disease, but nobody knows what really happened. They were just all gone. I mean, wiped out overnight." Sam says.

"You don't think that's what's going on here, I mean..." Dean says.

"Whatever I saw in my head, it sure wasn't good. But what do you think could do that?" Sam asks.

"Well, I mean, like I said, all of your weirdo visions are always tied to the Yellow Eyed demon somehow, so.." Dean says.

"We should get help. Bobby, uh, Ellen maybe?" Sam asks.

"Yeah, that's a good idea." Dean takes his phone out. I don't have signal."

"I don't either." Sam says.

"Me neither." Miranda sighs.

They walk to a payphone and Dean picks it up. He clicks the receiver a few times.